I did a search and found some threads about dopus taking a long time to load sometimes or after it loads it spikes the cpu. My dopus (184.108.40.206) seems to work great but once a day, usually near the tail end of the day, it spikes my main processor (I'm on a dual proc) and it just stays there. I've tried waiting, I close any open dopus windows and the process remains open and spiking. I have to forcibly close the thread in my process list and then I do a windows-E to bring dopus back up and it's fine. I don't get what's up but thought I'd report it, it sounds like some sort of process is getting hung up or something.
It always happens when it's in the background and I'm not messing with anything. It's possible it's related to ftp as I have an ftp tab open most of the day (I do a lot of downloading and uploading). Perhaps it's possible it's trying to keep the link alive and can't because the server has quit it or something ... not sure what's going on. Other than that a few tabs open on my hard drive is the only other thing going on.
There are two FAQs on high CPU usage. Have a read through them and see if any of the suggestions help.
Yeah, regarding the FAQ and the CPU-Usage/Plug-in thread, I starting having this 100% CPU (well, single core anyway) usage problem with 220.127.116.11.
This was the same under both XP and Vista. The solution was to disable the Acrobat plug-in ("PDF-ActiveX"), so you could try that, mythprod.
I do admit that this is odd because 1.) I doubt the plug-in itself has changed in a long, long time, so why the sudden malfunction? and 2.) Wasn't this issue with the Acrobat plug-in resolved eons ago, like back in v.8.0 of Directory Opus?
Edit: To add to that, *.pdf files were nowhere in sight--I don't have any stored on any drive or directory on this system. The plug-in itself is just bonkers, at least on my specific system; I don't know why.
I saw the FAQ before I posted. My problem seems to be when opus has been idle for a bit. After it starts to do whatever it's doing, it can't be turned off unless you forcibly kill the process. I'll keep an eye on it in the next day or so and see if I can narrow the problem down.
Are the files changing in the directory you've left Opus viewing?
It's likely that a file is added or changed and then rescanned by Opus (and its plugins, shell extensions and so on) and that is causing something to get into a loop. Without knowing which thing is going wrong it's hard to know who to direct the problem to.
[quote="nudel"]Are the files changing in the directory you've left Opus viewing?
It's likely that a file is added or changed and then rescanned by Opus (and its plugins, shell extensions and so on) and that is causing something to get into a loop. Without knowing which thing is going wrong it's hard to know who to direct the problem to.[/quote]
That's a good point, actually. Maybe I'm in a graphics program that's altering an existing video file and that's what's locking opus up. I'll keep an eye out for that and see if I can figure it out.
I've seen several video codecs which go a bit crazy when asked to inspect an incomplete file so it could well be that if you are writing video files to that directory.
Maybe it's related to the viewer pane, if that's the case. Is there any setting related to the viewer pane I can turn off (aside from keeping it off when I'm not in opus) that would aleviate this problem perhaps? I do have the swf plug loaded that may be causing it. I create and re-create swf files all of the time. I do see an "automatically refresh image when file changes" under viewer > viewer pane, I wonder if that's the option I want to turn off. It'd be nice to be able to turn off that option -only- for movies as changing an image can take far less time than changing a movie file.
I found the SWF thumbnails plugin introduced some instability for me back when I tried it out so that's possible.
It doesn't have to be the viewer, or even thumbnails, though. Plugins may also be called to generate, say, the Description column. It could happen that Opus asks for the Description of a movie that was just written, which causes the movie plugin to call a codec, which then goes crazy.
The only real way to find out is to disable certain plugins until the problem goes away, or work out exactly which operations/files/formats/view modes/etc. trigger the problem.