DOpus hangs when opening network folder with many files/folders

Regular explorer is instant, so I don't think it is the internet/VPN.

Anyway to at least have a loading bar? Or know why it is slow? Any work arounds?

How many is "many"?

Approximately how long is the delay in Explorer vs in Opus, in seconds?

Is it only the first time a folder is read?

Does this affect other programs or just Opus?

You mention Internet/VPN; is this a remote network drive, as in not on a LAN? Is there anything unusual about it? (Non-Windows server? Is it over a slow link? Anything like that.)

Which columns are shown in the file display? (Any that cause the files to be opened may be relevant here. For example, Description, Width, or Height will all cause Opus to read parts of the files, and potentially antivirus to read even larger parts of the files.)

See at the end. I answered all your questions, but didn't realize till the end that I had added the "owner" column by default which caused the slow down.

Many being ~6000 folders or files

Opus takes about 2-3 minutes, and says "Not Responding". Explorer is instant, it just loads the folder

No it is not, it'll hang no matter how many times I go back to it during the day

Just Opus - but I do not think it was doing this before today.

It is remote, but connected via LAN not WIFI. I believe it is a windows server, and not on a slow link.

Well damn. I answer all that before getting here... Yep, it was that I had "owner" as a default column. Without that it is now instant.
Sorry for the time waste! I hasn't gone into this folder for a while, so I didn't associate the change of defaults with the issue.

1 Like