Dopus keeps "Reading folder..." without actually displaying it

Hello,
Regularly (several times a day), when trying to access a folder by double-clicking on it, dopus keeps displaying a "Reading folder..." message but never succeeds. There is no crash and I still can move to other drives or folders, but from then double-click no longer works on any file or folder :frowning: The only way to go back to normal is to restart Dopus.
It can happen any time on any folder, not always the same.
I started to have this problem with the latest 12.x versions and switched back to older versions.
13.2 has nice functionalities so I would like to go on with it, but this problem is really annoying.
I could not find anything about that behevior in the forum, any chance to get help ?

Have you tried with a newer version? 13.3 is the current stable version, and there are also several newer betas. We'll be putting out 13.4 in a few days, so 13.2 is quite out of date at the moment.

Does this only happen for certain folders?

Yes sorry I meant 13.3.7, not 13.2.
Most of the time it happens in folders containing a lot of subfolders (10 000 to 20 000).
Problem started to happen with late 2022 Dopus 12 versions (12.29 I think but not sure), so I stayed with older ones.
Now 13.x is really nice, I would rather not switch back to 12.x :slight_smile:

As far as I can remember, we've not had any similar reports, recently or since 12.29 came out.

Please make some process snapshots while the directory is reading. We might be able to see where it's stuck (or if it's just taking a long time for some reason) from those.

Hello, thanks for your attention.
I made 6 snapshots

• Dopus.dmp : before trying to open the folder
  • Dopus(2) to (5) : after and following minutes "Reading folder..." state
  • Dopus (6) : 9 hours later, in the morning, still in "Reading folder..." state

CPU & memory usage were very low both before and after, there is nothing noticeable.

Thanks!

The DMPs show folder read has completed (or never happened; isn't running when the DMPs are made, at least), so it seems Opus is waiting for something that's already finished, and somehow missed it completing (or it failed to start).

I'm not yet sure how that can happen, especially only affecting one machine. (I'd expect lots of reports if it was happening for other people, especially for the length of time you've been seeing it.)

Do you have any script add-ins installed? Those can be triggered on folder changes and might be involved in what's happening.

Thanks.
No I don't have any scripts, and the fact is I never got the problem with Dopus 12.27 and before (this is the version I used before installing 13.3, as I said I started to have the problem with 12.29 and subsequent versions. I tried several times but always went back to 12.27 which worked fine for me).
I don't know if this can help but I have the same behavior when I use the "Find" or "Duplicate files" function. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes when I click on the Find button it gets stuck in "Reading Folder...". Again no problem with 12.27

Another strange behavior, linked or not, is very slow response time when I use the filter function from the task bar. From time to time it takes several minutes to filter the files list, and I can't do anything during this lapse of time (hourglass, dopus not responding). filter won't work again on the current tab, but if I open another tab (even by duplicating current tab) then it works fine most of the time.