DOpus Running But Won't Appear

OK, I seem to have lost my DOpus. I tried to open the window from the taskbar button - it spun a while then the button went from saying DOpus was running to not running. I tried to restart it - nothing happens. Really weird. I restarted Windows and it says DOpus is running in Task Manager but it just won't show up.

I'm running Windows 7x64 Professional and have had DOpus installed since I bought this box in January 2012. (And on my previous computers since DOpus V.7) First time I lost it like this! Nothing about it in the Event Viewer at all. Task Manager shows two DOpus processes running: dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe. I tried stopping the processes and restarting them. Task Manager shows them again but I cannot access Dopus at all! the dopus.exe file in Program Files says it is 11.7.0.0. I can say that when the update window appeared yesterday (it runs weekly) it said I was up-to-date.

I didn't run any Windows Updates, though Microsoft has been known to install stealth updates from time to time. I installed no other software recently. I did notice in the Event Viewer that Google Update tried to run several times tonight and failed. Don’t know how that could have any effect on dopus. I have no idea what could have caused this.

Any advice on how to get dopus back? Uninstall/reinstall? Do I need to uninstall with a cleaner utility or anything? If I do reinstall can I use my settings backup to restore my settings?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

Jim

Please try downloading the current version from our website and then installing it over the top, without uninstalling. Reboot when prompted at the end of the install.

Another thing to try: Create an empty folder on your desktop, then right-click it and choose the option to open it in Opus. If that works, it could have been Opus was trying to open a folder with something inside it that caused it to crash.

If that doesn't work, doing an uninstall and then a re-install is worth a try. Uninstalling will wipe your configuration (which may be where the problem is), so if you do not already have a backup and want to keep it, you will want to manually back it up first. To locate the configuration folders, see Locating the config files by hand in the config backup faq.

If doing an uninstall & re-install, please try running Opus with the default config before restoring anything from your config backup.

Please also link your account for further assistance.

Hi Leo.

Well, I tried everything you suggested:
[ul][li]Installed latest version over current installation - didn't change anything[/li]
[li]Created a new folder on the desktop and right-clicked>Open in Directory Opus - wouldn’t open Dopus[/li]
[li]Uninstalled/reinstalled - Dopus wouldn’t open[/li]
[li]Linked my account[/li][/ul]

Not sure what to do now. This is maddening - I have to use Windows Explorer for everything and I haven't used it in years! Forgot just how frustrating that is.

Thanks for your help, Leo.

Jim

Does the icon appear in the system tray?

No, but Windows Task Manager shows two processes running for it, as mentioned above.

Jim

And the update checker still popped up? Very weird.

Huh? No, the update checker ran the night before my Dopus vanished. Not scheduled for another week now, though I do doubt it will run like this.

Jim

If you run this (e.g. paste it into Win + R "run" dialog), does the Preferences window appear?

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /cmd Prefs

Hi Leo.

I just tried running that - nothing.

Last night I ran Process Explorer for a few hours to see if that would shed any light on anything unusual going on. I do see a lot of activity that appears to be possibly connected to this, but I can't find out much more about the activity.

E.g., every time I tried to start dopus I see the following activities listed (among many others):
dopus.exe RegQueryValue NAME NOT FOUND HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DisableUserModeCallbackFilter
dopus.exe RegQueryValue NAME NOT FOUND HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SESSION MANAGER\CWDIllegalInDLLSearch
dopus.exe CreateFileMapping FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS

While actions like "Process Start" and "Thread Start" were listed as Successful, many of the Registry Query Value actions, like the above, failed. If this is due to suddenly missing-in-action DLLs I would think the reinstallation would have fixed that. Unless of course they are Windows DLLs. But what would have done that? (Windows Updates perhaps? Just guessing...)

Does any of the above ring any bells with anyone?

Thank you.

Jim

BTW, I had a lot more spacing between the terms listed in the above post, but the forum editor apparently removes all spaces except one. Sorry if they are tough to read.

Jim

I suspect you'll see similar procmon entries for all programs.

There may be other details in the procmon logs that point to something, though. If you want to export the procmon log and email it to leo@gpsoft.com.au I will take a look at it.

Leo,

I am running Procmon again tonight. Should I capture ALL items? Or should I filter the "dopus.exe" items and just send those? (Capturing all will probably make a very large log file; probably too large to email it).

Thanks!

Jim

Might as well capture everything (file and registry events, all processes), then archive the .PML file it creates. They usually compress very well.

BUMP

I have the same issue. Attached is a snip of my task manager with NO current DOpus sessions open. If I try to start DOpus, I get the symptoms described above. If I kill the process, DOpus starts right up. Evidently, DOpus is not properly ending when the last session is closed (sometimes; other times it does). This is a real pain as I have to keep the task manager running all the time since I use DOpus constantly throughout the day. Any suggestions?

Please install 11.17 if you aren't already on the latest version, then see if it says "ADMINISTRATOR" in the titlebar. If it does then it is easy to fix.

If it doesn't, please try the suggestions in the thread and report your findings.

Thanks for the reply. Here is the version I am running.
I do not see "ADMINISTRATOR" on this screen or on my lister screen.
Sorry to be dense, but exactly which suggestions in this thread should I try?
Bob

PHPBB_IMPORT_WARNING CODE_NEAR_LI

Existing suggestions from the thread, slightly re-worded in places:

[ol][li]Please try downloading the current version from our website and then installing it over the top, without uninstalling. Reboot when prompted at the end of the install.

[/li]
[li]Another thing to try: Create an empty folder on your desktop, then right-click it and choose the option to open it in Opus. If that works, it could have been Opus was trying to open a folder with something inside it that caused it to crash.

[/li]
[li]If you run this (e.g. paste it into Win + R "run" dialog), does the Preferences window appear?

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /cmd Prefs

[/li]
[li]If none of the above work, try reverting to the default configuration, in case the problem is a config issue.

To do this, uninstall Opus, reboot when prompted, then reinstall Opus.

Uninstalling will wipe your configuration (which may be where the problem is), so if you do not already have a backup and want to keep your config, you will want to back it up first. If you can open a window one way or another, use the config backup wizard. Otherwise, to locate the configuration folders and do the backup manually, see Locating the config files by hand in the config backup faq.

Important: Please try running Opus with the default config before restoring anything from your config backup.[/li][/ol]

If none of those work, please give us details on how you are trying to open the new window, and the corresponding settings under Preferences / Launching Opus.