Dopusrt info

Help...

Years ago when I started using Dopus 6, I was really unhappy with the methods of opening a new lister. I make heavy use of the quick launch bar in windows and don't like having to go anywhere else to do stuff. Yes I know, there are easier ways to open a new lister, some of which I've been using lately since I lost by button, but...

What I'm looking for is a way to make a quick launch button that will open a new lister. Dopus is already running in the background, ready to go, but I want my button back.

I tried creating a button on the toolbar and dragging that to the quicklaunch area, but that doesn't work anymore. I think thats what I did years ago to create the button. My hard drive went south, and the shortcuts were not in the area that I back up.

I thought it was related to using dopusrt, but I can't seem to find any info, even though I know I saw it recently, I can't find it in my email, or on this site.

How can I create a button on my quicklaunch toolbar that will open a new lister?

Thanks in advance...

Make a shortcut which runsdopusrt.exe /cmd Go Newor similar. You'll probably need to use the full path to dopusrt.exe (remember to put quotes around it).

Dragging a button to the desktop to create a shortcut should work though... Does it work on the desktop for you but not on the QuickLaunch bar? Might be something to do with the fix for running scripts on the QuickLaunch bar.

[quote]
nudel wrote:
Make a shortcut which runsdopusrt.exe /cmd Go Newor similar. You'll probably need to use the full path to dopusrt.exe (remember to put quotes around it).

Dragging a button to the desktop to create a shortcut should work though... Does it work on the desktop for you but not on the QuickLaunch bar? Might be something to do with the fix for running scripts on the QuickLaunch bar.[/quote]

The shortcut to dopusrt worked perfectly... Thanks!

As for dragging the button to the desktop, that creates a file titled DOpus Button, but it is only the button info in a text file.

Contents of file are:
[DOpus.ButtonInfo]
Name=
Icon=84,9999999
Flags=2,0,0
Color=0,a0a0a0
Tooltip=Open new lister
Func1=Go NEW

The button doesn't have a file type, and even if it did, I'm not sure that anything in DOpus would be able to read a file like this, short of interpreting it as a button on a toolbar.

Trying to drag it to the quick launch bar results in the mouse cursor turning into something indicating I can't drop it there.

[quote]The button doesn't have a file type, and even if it did, I'm not sure that anything in DOpus would be able to read a file like this, short of interpreting it as a button on a toolbar.[/quote]It does create a file with the text-version of the button, and if you double-click the file it should run the Opus command. (Works here, at least!)

[quote]Trying to drag it to the quick launch bar results in the mouse cursor turning into something indicating I can't drop it there.[/quote]I guess you have to make the icon on the desktop, then you can drag that to the QuickLaunch folder.

I'm kind of an "old foggy" I guess because I still like to use hot key shortcuts. For me to open a new lister, I always use the keys: "windows key" + E , that opens a new lister in "my computer". You can do that quick and easy for ever how many new listers you want open.

I know it's not a button....but it works for me :smiley:

I also have a hotkey assigned (Win + W) though I prefer the handiness of double clicking on the desktop. But I'm confused about this topic... maybe I'm not understanding something about it properly, but what's wrong with simply copying the Dopus shortcut installed in the Start Menu's All Programs list to the quick launch bar?

Color me confused :wink:

[quote]
steje wrote:
I also have a hotkey assigned (Win + W) though I prefer the handiness of double clicking on the desktop. But I'm confused about this topic... maybe I'm not understanding something about it properly, but what's wrong with simply copying the Dopus shortcut installed in the Start Menu's All Programs list to the quick launch bar?

Color me confused :wink:[/quote]

I started to feel like an idiot. Why didn't I think of that. I think I did, but back in the days of 6. If memory serves correctly, the 6 executable only loaded it into memory and wouldn't open a new lister by default. I see that regardless of what it did (or I thought it did), the dopus 8 executable will open a new lister, though it does seem to be slower than the dopusrt alternative. I guess it's dopus trying to figure out if it is already in memory.

The icon in start menu is really designed for loading dopus into memory, not opening a lister (I think...)

hehe... well, I did try Opus a while ago at version 6... and while I liked the basic functionality of it as being better than Windows Exploder, the very power that makes it such a great replacement ironically turned me off as it made it seem too large and cumbersome.

Anyhow, version 8 brought me to eval it again mostly because some things seemed more streamlined... and so as most of my usage has been on v8, I'm not sure what the shortcut behaved like for v6. Either way you look at it, regarding your question it seems you got a few answers so...

color me happy and no longer confused :slight_smile:.

Seems the same speed (instant) for me whether I use a hotkey or dopusrt.

Are both methods opening the same folder for you? That may explain why one is slower than the other. For example, Win+E always opens My Computer and if you have certain devices installed/inserted then that may take a bit longer to display than a standard directory.

[quote]
nudel wrote:

Seems the same speed (instant) for me whether I use a hotkey or dopusrt.

Are both methods opening the same folder for you? That may explain why one is slower than the other. For example, Win+E always opens My Computer and if you have certain devices installed/inserted then that may take a bit longer to display than a standard directory.[/quote]

I'm opening the same folder in both cases. I'm guessing that you are running in Explorer replacement mode and Win+E is simply triggering DOpus in this manner. I don't know exactly how Win+E is triggering the new lister, but since this is under control of DOpus, I would expect it to be the optimal method. And of course, remember we are really comparing running the primary dopus.exe shortcut to the dopusrt shortcut. Double-clicking on the desktop, or one of the other many ways to trigger a new lister are probably as fast as the dopusrt shortcut, but all I care about is the shortcut to dopusrt. I want a button to click on.

As for which shortcut would run faster, I would expect that all things being equal, (dopus loaded into memory, both exe's cached or both not cached), loading and executing an 84 k program will always be faster than loading and executing a 4.66 meg program.

Anyway, thanks to all, my question has been answered.

Ah, I see, I assumed you were talking about opening listers after Opus is already running.

What happens when you run the main Opus exe/shortcut when Opus isn't already running depends on the settings in Preferences, Startup.