Double clicking on desktop

I have Directory Opus set to open a lister when double clicking on the desktop, but when Windows 10 starts, this doesn't work. I have to disable this feature, click 'Apply', then re-enable it for it to work each time I turn on the computer.

If you open Task Manager after rebooting, is dopusrt.exe in the list of processes on the Details page?

Yes it is. However, when rebooting just now, I got the following error message from 'Lpuninstall', whatever that is: 'Unexpected parameter 'NOAUTOLISTER'.

Google says Lpuninstall.exe is the LastPass installer/uninstaller.

I don't know why that would be run with NOAUTOLISTER which is an argument to dopus.exe. Something sounds messed up with your Startup shortcuts, perhaps.

Yes there was, and this is now hopefully rectified. I have Directory Opus set to open with Windows without opening any lister. This it does, but it doesn't respond to doubleclicks on the desktop unless I disable the feature and re-enable it each time. Dopusrt.exe is in the list of processes in the Task Manager.

I have the same issue. Have had it for a while, but wasn't sure if it was Opus 12 or Windows 10, or something else that is causing it. There was another issue with the v12 picture viewer crashing, but uninstalling and reinstalling Opus v12 beta 8 fixed that. The reinstall did not fix the doublick on desktop. I exported all settings before uninstalling and imported them after re-installing.

As for the desktop doubleclick to open a lister, I can't tell exactly what, when or how, I just notice it stops working after a while.

If dopusrt.exe is in Task Manager but desktop double-click is not working, then one of two things is likely:

[ul][li]DOpus.exe is running at a higher UAC elevation than the rest of the desktop. That would block the desktop (including dopusrt.exe if launched normally) from sending Opus messages telling it to open windows.

With newer versions of Opus, you can tell if this problem is in effect by "ADMINISTRATOR" in all capitals appearing in lister titlebars.

(If it is "Administrator" in mixed case, that's OK and means the individual window has been UAC elevated but not the whole process. Opus supports UAC, and has an Admin Mode for keeping windows elevated, but you shouldn't normally run the whole dopus.exe elevated or other things won't be able to talk to it.)

If this is happening, re-launching dopusrt.exe may appear to temporarily fix things because it ends up running elevated as well if an elevated process launches it.

Or:

[/li]
[li]Another tool is trapping desktop double-click and swallowing the event before Opus can get to it.

Re-launching dopusrt.exe can also solve that temporarily, by making Opus first in the chain, getting the event before the other thing(s).

Fences and DisplayFusion are two popular things I know of which can also change what happens with desktop double-click (or similar actions that also involve hooking mouse events on the desktop), so if you're using either of those the conflict might be there.

There's nothing wrong with either program, it's just that only one thing can handle the same event at the end of the day.

You may be able to configure them to ignore the double-click, or turn off the option in Opus and configure the other programs to launch Opus themselves for the same result.

I think there can also be issues if an elevated program is hooking mouse events and needs to pass them on to non-elevated hooks, or vice versa, since Windows segregates things.[/li][/ul]

Hi Leo. Thanks for the input. dopusrt.exe is running, but I don't see ADMINISTRATOR in my lister titlebars. Also, I'm not running Fences or DisplayFusion. Actually, I can't think of another program that could be causing this, but admittedly, I installed a lot of programs on this PC, so I'd need to doublecheck.

Is there any way of getting dopusrt.exe to run first so other applications can't intercept the double click?

I think you want it to run last, but there isn't generally a way to control startup order in Windows, nor any real way to know when everything else has finishing launching such that it's safe to be the last thing to run.

You could have something you run manually, or via task scheduler or as a startup item that waits before running it, which closes and re-launches dopusrt:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /dblclk=off "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /dblclk

This might be of some help chemtable.com/downloading-au ... anizer.htm, give it a try it's free and safe.

Another option (I haven't tried either of these tools personally): snapfiles.com/get/startdelay.html

I tried making a batch file as you suggested, but it didn't work. At the end of the day, this is a bug, and it should be fixed, not left to users to try to tweak themselves.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. It's not something we can address at our end. Something on your system is interfering - it's up to you to work out what and uninstall (or disable) it.

I agree with Jon that this is not a DOpus problem. I have had the same sort of double-click issue, but with my system, it manifests as a double-click-opened Lister coming up in a background layer...sort of annoying, when you've got lots of things open and you can't see your newly-opened Lister.

However, I did find the culprit; a feature of a dictionary program called Word Web Pro, which allows a CTRL-right click lookup of words beneath the cursor. When I turn that feature off, everything works as expected, in both versions 11 and 12.

As well, I can temporarily achieve the same thing whilst retaining the Word Web Pro lookup feature by, as those here have done, closing and reopening the dopusrt.exe process.

"Unfortunately it's not that simple. It's not something we can address at our end. Something on your system is interfering - it's up to you to work out what and uninstall (or disable) it. "

How am I supposed to do this?

"I agree with Jon that this is not a DOpus problem."

All other startup applications behave predictably.

In Windows 10, open Task Manager, click on the Start-Up tab, then right-click and disable everything except the Opus items.

Reboot and see if the problem is still there. If it is, it's something being launched via a more complicated route, which we can go into.

But if the problem is now gone, it means one of the disabled items was causing it. Re-enable half of them and reboot again to see if the problem comes back. That will tell you which half had the problem. Repeat until it's narrowed down to one of the other programs.

(If you suspect a particular program, e.g. because it handles mouse or hotkey functionality and is more likely to interfere with another mouse hook, you may be able to speed things up by testing with just that program disabled.)

I have a problem in Windows 11 with the Taskbar being unresponsive and the fix for that issue is to restart the explorer.exe process.

Unfortunately, once I do that, the double-clicking on the Desktop to start DOpus no longer works! I checked and dopusrt.exe is running and I even tried the commands in the post above, but it still does not work.

Is there something else I can or should be doing to get the double-clicking working again?

Thanks!

You could restart the double-click handler by running these two commands:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /dblclk=off
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /dblclk

I had already tried that, but it does not work. I also tried first terminating the dopusrt.exe process and then execute those commands, and still no success. Only rebooting works. :frowning:

I'm thinking that besides explorer.exe, there must be another Windows system process that also needs restarting. I'll do some more digging to see if I find anything and will report back if I do.