Double-clicking shortcuts opens new lister if QAP installed

I forgot to insert the screen capture of the context menu for a LNK file linking to a folder. On the left in DOpus, on the right in Explorer.

1 Like

I'll test it in Explorer when I get home

I think the problem is because the Import Shortcut to Quick Access Popup menu becomes the only verb on the shortcut (.lnk / lnkfile) filetype, so Opus treats it as the default action for shortcut files. File Explorer probably ignores the type entirely when double-clicking.

Adding a NeverDefault value fixes things:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shell\Import Shortcut to Quick Access Popup menu]
"NeverDefault"=dword:00000000

.reg file you can double-click to create the same thing:

Opus_QAP_Shortcut_Fix.zip (376 Bytes)

We can probably add a check for this on our side, but it wouldn't hurt for QAP to add the value to the registry as well, in case it causes other problems / problems with other software.

2 Likes

Update: That'll be in the next Opus beta, unless we run into any problems with the preliminary change.

Presumably one of the context menu handlers imposes itself as the default in Explorer?

There aren't any others. I think Explorer just ignores the shortcut filetype entirely when double-clicking, which is what Opus will do as well.

I meant in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Anyway, I confirm the difference in behaviour between Opus and Explorer, and that NeverDefault fixes the problem.

Out of curiosity Leo, how would you explain that even though I have had QAP through all betas leading to 12.22 stable and I have not experienced this at all, not even on my virtual machines which does have QAP installed and registry key exactly as it should be problematic?.