[SOLVED] Dragging files from grouped folder causes freeze

There is only one grouped folder in my system. The folder is grouped by time created, and sorted by ascending. This issue only occurs with this folder. When I drag files from this grouped folder to another folder, Opus freezes for 5–10 seconds before moving or copying them. In some cases, the program freezes for almost a minute, and in others, it crashes.

Note:

1. I can cut and paste the file into another folder without any problems.
  2. This has been happening with the last few updates. My current version is 13.5.4 (Beta) x64 Build 8880.

Let me know if you need a video screen recording or log files if this isn't a known issue.

Please make some DMPs while the freeze/delay is happening:

Thank you. Will email them. Might be an issue on my end, since the dump reports the same issue with every process I export dumps from: FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: BREAKPOINT_80000003_win32u.dll!NtUserGetMessage.

And, while the problem happens (5-20 seconds) the power usage of opus is very high.

Just got a BSOD for the first time in many years. Emailed the MEMORY.DMP as well. Says the process name was dopus.exe, and the faulting module was cdd.dll, which can be memory issues.

Based on the main DMPs, I suspect CopywhizShell.dll (presumably part of https://www.conceptworld.com/Copywhiz) may be causing the delay while dragging. It looks like it may be calling GetWindowText across threads or on something which is slow to respond, when queried to see if it wants to divert the drag & drop or to add to the right-click drag menu (depending on the action you were doing; looks like the right-click menu from the stack trace).

The BSOD looks like a GPU driver bug. User-mode software like Opus can't cause a BSOD; only drivers or other low-level components can do that. In this case, it looks like your display driver is accessing invalid memory when doing a BitBlt (which shouldn't be possible even if Opus calls BitBlt with invalid arguments).

If you search the web for cdd.dll there are lots of threads about what look like the same BSOD, and at least some were solved by (re)installing the latest GPU driver.

It also looks like you have a label set up that colors files based on file content. I'd advise against that, as it'll cause Opus to open and read the entirety of every file in the directory each time you change directories, which in turn will sometimes (or often, with garbage like Defender) cause antivirus to make Opus freeze while the files are scanned, as well as causing extra disk/network access in general.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the help.

Colored files sound logical, and I will disable that Opus setting.

My issues began on April 11, and I only installed Copywiz on April 12, but I will remove it using Revo Uninstaller. Since I use Teracopy, I can't even remember why I installed it. In search of a way to schedule a system file for deletion on reboot, Copywiz might have been able to help.

I am well versed in BSODs, especially when they occurred frequently with Windows XP :slight_smile:. A majority of posts will list several obvious solutions, and I also saw a mention of the graphic driver. However, my NVIDIA driver is always up-to-date.

It's my strong belief that removing Copywiz and disabling colored files will fix this. Doing it now, fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Update:

When I removed the file coloring in the folder with the issue (Preferences -> Labels -> Label Assignments), I was able to drag files with it, and everything worked perfectly! Neither a delay nor a freeze occurred. I think that was it. This can be tested further by applying colored files to other folders and dragging files from them, but I'll keep this in mind if the issue returns.

Thanks again!

1 Like