Drive Mappings

I use a program called "Extra Subst" ( extradrivecreator.com/ ) for mapping drives. Historically, it's been faster than MS Explorer's route, and then the O/S sees the mappings as "real drives", not mapped folders.

Anuyway...

I use two: "P" for the Documents folder, and "N" for my Icons folder..

In all other instances and programs, I have had no problem with this at all.

For some reason, DOpus "sees" "P", but cannot locate "N".

"P" is mapped to "C:\Users\Me\Documents", and "N" is mapped to "C:\Users\Me\Documents\Graphics\Icons".

DOpus sees "P" fine, but not "N".

How come?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

What do you mean by Opus not seeing it? Where are you looking?

Does it show up if you navigate to My Computer?

[quote="leo"]What do you mean by Opus not seeing it? Where are you looking?

Does it show up if you navigate to My Computer?[/quote]

Leo:

The drive letter shows up in both DOpus and MyComp. In MyComp, I click it and see the files. In DOpus however, I get an error that the drive can't be found -- even though it is showing on the "Drives" toolbar.

If you open a command prompt and type "dir N:" (without the quotes) does a directory listing come back?

yup.

Beats me, in that case.

Weird... but this product is sort of not necessary with Opus.

You can do the same sort of things (from what I can tell) with some script glue and either toolbar buttons, context menus, or hotkeys...

For instance... here are two files (in the attached zip) that will do "basically" the same thing using Opus' rename scripting fakery to run a vbscript inside of Opus to do the work.

Inside the zip file there are:

DOpus_subst.ouc: only necessary to run the bulit-in Windows subst command without the "DOS" window popping up for it... needs to be copied to the /dopusdata\UserCommands folder...
Local Drive Mappings.dcf: toolbar button that works as follows (after being being installed to a toolbar by entering customize mode, and dragging the .dcf file to your toolbar of choice:
[ul][li] Left mouse click: shows a drop-down list of available drive letters to which the current ({sourcepath}) folder can be 'mapped' to...[/li]
[li] Right moude click: shows a drop-down list of drive letters currently used that can be 'unmapped'.[/li][/ul]NOTE: at this point, selecting a drive to 'unmap' with the right mouse click will only work for local folders that have been 'substituted' as local drive letters (along the lines of the original posters use of the "Extra Subst" tool)... With a little bit more work (and perhaps an external command line tool) this could be turned into a single button that will map and unmap network AND local drives, as well as disconnect removable media drive letters, etc...
DOpus_subst.zip (1.85 KB)

There also is a very simple way to use the Subst command to map a folder to a drive letter at Windows startup.

[ul]1) Write a batch file that maps the folder to a drive letter.

Subst Drive: Path 
  1. Make a shortcut of the batch file,
    and then from the shortcut properties tab set the shortcut to run as minimized.
    This eliminates the ugly DOS window and when the shortcut runs it only appears as a brief flash on the taskbar.

2. Move the shortcut to your Windows Startup folder.[/ul]
    To be honest though, I consider the Dos Subst command to be quite archaic.
    Actually, I'm amazed that this really does work.

I cant find /dopusdata\UserCommands. I dont have the dir 'dopusdata'. Do I have to make one?

/dopusdata is a folder alias. Type it into Opus, starting with the /, and it will take you to the folder.

See: How to back-up or locate your Opus configuration.