Drop-down Buttons

I am playing with Drop-down buttons which I love and want to understand.

Why the Drop-down button that contains "New Folder" is always on when nothing is selected? When you Customize the option
"Always Enable Drop-down" is not selected. So why is it still enabled? (I know the logic, you want to create a new folder!, I want to understand the customization)

I just made a Get Sizes button and put it in Properties Drop-down, but it is that disabled when nothing is selected and I want Get Sizes to work even when nothing is selected.

Another issue. When you use the Drop-down, the default command always stays the same. I think it's a better and more logical behavior for the button to change to the last command used within it.

Another issue. When you create New Menu Button. You can not easily change the default command by dragging and dropping a button or a command into it. You have to manually edit it and fill all the fields one by one.

[quote="Zodler"]Why the Drop-down button that contains "New Folder" is always on when nothing is selected? When you Customize the option
"Always Enable Drop-down" is not selected. So why is it still enabled? (I know the logic, you want to create a new folder!, I want to understand the customization)[/quote]

New Folder is always available, whether or not anything is selected (since the selection is irrelevant to creating a new folder), so the main New Folder button is always enabled.

The button-menu's menu part is also always enabled, since the menu part (by default) is enabled/disabled the same as the button part.

The 'Always Enable Drop-Down' option prevents the menu part from being disabled if the button part is disabled. Since it never isn't disabled, it won't do much.

(Actually, if you go to a folder where you can't create a new folder, like My Computer, then the New Folder button will be disabled, and there the 'Always Enable Drop-Down' option will make a difference.)

The Get Sizes command is already in the Edit menu, and Ctrl-L hotkey, FWIW.

You just need, while in Customize mode, to right-click the Properties button and turn on 'Always Enable Drop-Down'.

There is no default command. There's just a button part, which runs whatever you put in there, and a menu part, which has whatever you put in there. You might be confused by the default toolbar reproducing the button part as the first item in the menus, but it's just a copy of the same command and doesn't have to be there.

The default toolbar is like that to make the keyboard shortcuts more visible.

Ok, that's just a name. It's not very important what you call it. Lets call it the "button part". I don't think that's a useful design for the "button part" to be like that. I think it would be a great feature/design that "button part" changes every time you use a menu item. "button part" would always show the last used item.