Dumb question about collections and searches

Hi:
I am totally new to this obviously deep program. So please forgive my ignorance. I would like to have three buttons somewhere on a toolbar:

1. Go to collections
    2.Copy this to collection X
  2. Remove this from collection.
    Of the three, only 3 seems to exist. Dr. Perry suggested using COLLLIST/S, but I don't know where it is or how to employ it.
    Also, is there a way to speed up searches? Opus is much slower than, for example PowerDesk and others.

Thanks,

Paul DeLeeuw (pdl@mail.com)

PHPBB_IMPORT_WARNING CODE_NEAR_LI

How to use/edit commands

Have a look at the Toolbar Editing tutorial video to get yourself up to speed.

1. Go to collections
[ul][li]You can have buttons which go to individual collections in one click. For example, this will go to the Find Results collection:

go "coll://Find Results"

[li]You can have a button which takes you to the list of collections (the list being shown in the file display, not on the menu). This is in the Go menu by default so you shouldn't have to create it. It's also available in the pre-made list of commands Settings -> Customize / Commands / Go: Go To File Collections). For completeness, the command that it runs is this:

go coll://

[u]2.Copy this to collection X[/u]
[ul][li]The command that Greg suggested is Copy COLLLIST. This can be used on a toolbar or context menu. When you select a file and then click on the button a sub-menu will appear listing all of your collections, allowing you to click on a collection to add the selected files to it.

Copy COLLLIST

[li]You can also make commands which add the selected files to a specific collection, without any submenu. This will add things to the Find Results collection:

Copy TO="coll://Find Results"

[u]3. Remove this from collection.[/u]

Sounds like you've got that one already.

[u]Speed up searches?[/u]

What kind of search are you doing? Which search terms are you using? For example, if you search based on the contents of files it will obviously be slower than just searching by filename because every byte of every file has to be read.

Opus should read directories and decide if filenames match at the same speed as any other program which does real-time searching (i.e. that doesn't used cached search indexes generated overnight, like Google Desktop Search etc. use).

How many results are returned for the search?

When you compared the speed to other programs, did you run their searches right after you ran Opus's? That isn't a fair test because the filesystem caches some or all of the directory information for a while. If you run the same search twice in Opus it's often instant the second time for the same reason.

Thanks for the tips. I viewed the tutorial. It tells what you can do but not specifically how to do it. It will say, for example, that you can place a GO button anywhere on a toolbar. Regrettably, it does not say how. I have tried the usual series of tricks one learns with Windows but the best I've been able to do is create greyed-out toolbar items.
Once I learn one arcane procedure I can usually discern the rest. When you say I place Code, how do I find the Code list, open the correct recipient window, etc.
Sorry to be so ignorant, but I'd rather do it right first than spend the weekend cleaning up (the wife already wants me to do the garage).

Merry Christmas from Florida

Paul D.

Try the following tutorial:

[url]Triple Drive Buttons (How to lose the tree) (step-by-step)]

Whilst you may not want the resulting Drive Buttons the step by step examples will get you started.