Duplicate Files search quit working

The duplicate files search used to work great, until I tried to mess with the filters a few weeks ago. I don't even know what I did, but now it doesn't work.

I click tools, find duplicate files. The window for searching duplicates opens on the bottom of the lister. I choose the directory and I just want everything in the directory and subdirectories to be searched based on filename/size. I click search - and instead of searching - it opens a find window (see picture).

This didn't use to happen in the past, in the past when I would click search - it would look for duplicates and display them in the lister window. Now it brings up this new window but it never searches anything. And it doesn't matter whatever filter I apply, it always does this now.

Could I have possibly deleted some default filter for searching duplicates? I just need the regular default duplicate search that worked right out of box when I installed directory opus. I am afraid to re-install, because I have plenty things customized already, so I'm worried that I will either lose my customizations or that it won't repair the duplicate search, because it will think that's the way I want it.

Can anybody help please? Thank you!

That is quite strange and not something I've heard of before...

Try exiting Opus and then, if you're familiar with editing the registry, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Config\User

and rename the Sync branch to something else (e.g. Sync_TEST) then restart Opus and see if it's fixed the problem. If it has it might be worth exporting the Sync_TEST branch and sending it to GPSoftware so they can try to work out what went wrong.

[quote="nudel"]That is quite strange and not something I've heard of before...

Try exiting Opus and then, if you're familiar with editing the registry, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Config\User

and rename the Sync branch to something else (e.g. Sync_TEST) then restart Opus and see if it's fixed the problem. If it has it might be worth exporting the Sync_TEST branch and sending it to GPSoftware so they can try to work out what went wrong.[/quote]

Thank you nudel - unfortunately, that didn't resolve the problem. The behavior did not change at all. I guess I will try to re-install the program.

So I went and uninstalled the old opus. I deleted anything opus related on the hard drive, cleaned registry and installed the brand new opus from the website.

Guess what? It still didn't work. Clicking on find duplicate files brought up a new find window just like the one pictured above.

Than a crazy thought occured to me. Maybe opus has problems with the fact that many of my directories and subdirectories are named like this: -=NAME=-

And so I deleted the -= =- markings from those folders and subfolders, then backed up to the parent directory and clicked find duplicate files.

And?

And now it works!!!

So it must be the naming that screws this function up! I don't know why, because if I just simply wanted to find files - then I didn't have a problem, but as soon as I looked for duplicates, the problem came up. And I tried everything possible with this new version that I downloaded, nothing worked, until I renamed those directories...

The developers should look into it though. The program shouldn't punish me for the way I name my folders. Anyway, now I've got a whole lot of customizing to do, to bring it back up to the level of comfort I had before.

P.S. And yes - I only started naming my directories in this way a few weeks ago and that's when the problems started occuring.

That is very strange indeed.

Could you Zip up a small directory structure that reproduces the problem? I made a directory and a couple of files called -=Test=- and -=Test=-.txt but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

I'm sure that if GPSoft can reproduce the problem they'll be able to fix it quite easily.

[quote="nudel"]That is very strange indeed.

Could you Zip up a small directory structure that reproduces the problem? I made a directory and a couple of files called -=Test=- and -=Test=-.txt but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

I'm sure that if GPSoft can reproduce the problem they'll be able to fix it quite easily.[/quote]

I have already finished renaming the folders to have them without the -==- characters, and it took me a while to do, so I have nothing to zip now. I don't know how specific this problem was to my computer, but the directory structures went 3-4 levels deep and it was a mixed bag with and without these characters... anyway, it's working now.

It'd be nice to get it fixed. :slight_smile: