Dvorak Ctrl-Qwerty hotkey issue

Hello, a few weeks ago I've submitted a ticket but haven't gotten any replies yet.

The issue is:
When using a non-standard keyboard map like Dvorak keyboard layout, for example,
Opus doesn't work right.
i.e. my keyboard layout automatically reverts to the standard layout when I press a system key like the CTRL key or the Windows key etc.
That way I can use all the normal shortcuts while at the same time touch type with the Dvorak layout.

Now, the issue is:
Opus doesn't revert to the standard layout when pressing the CTRL key which makes it a major accessibility issue for all users with a non-standard keyboard layout.

So, when can I expect this issue to be fixed?
I'd like to buy this program but it would be to weird for me to pay just to get such an extremely annoying bug...

How do you create a keyboard layout which does that? I've never heard of the layout changing when Ctrl/Windows/etc. are held down.

If it's done using this special keymap then I'm surprised it doesn't cause problems in more programs...

...but you should be able to work around it in Opus by simply remapping the hotkeys to whatever you want, via Customize -> Keys.

PS: I've renamed the thread to help other people using Dvorak/Ctrl keyboard-maps find the answer if they search by topic.

This is standard. Microsoft has this built in.
This is actually very intelligent feature.
You can just switch to Dvorak layout in any OS (XP, Vista etc.), it's built in.

I don't know how it's done but the fact is:
It's not causing problems with any other programs except the current Firefox version (since Firefox 3.0).
But the Firefox folks admitted that it's their fault and they admitted they've screwed it up. (it was working perfectly in earlier Firefox versions, I'm currently using Firefox 3 Beta 5, the last working version).
To my knowledge the Firefox folks have already fixed for the Mac and the Linux version. (the lazy bastards just haven't fixed it for the windows version yet)

Aside from that all other programs work perfectly with my keyboard layout.

Well, I'd like it to work properly without having to revert to work-arounds.

Actually, not just Microsoft has this built in.
ALL major OS including Mac, Linux etc. have the option to easily and quickly switch to Dvorak.
The Dvorak keyboard layout is superior to the standard keyboard layout when touch typing.
But when using hotkeys like CTRL+C, CTRL+V etc.
the standard layout is better because of the placement of those keys
and also because when using those hotkeys I'm usually looking at the keyboard (as opposed to touch typing when I don't need to look at the keyboard).

It's difficult to do anything unless you can tell us where the keymap comes from. You must have installed it yourself as it's not standard. Can you not remember how it got on your system or where it came from?

How do you know the Firefox issue is the same if you don't know where your keymap came from??

Aside from that, can you not fix the problem by reassigning the hotkeys?

I've found no standard/built-in means to change the keyboard layout (bult-in or user-installed, it does not matter) just by pressing the ctrl. To achieve that you must use a 3rd party program since no windows version allows that.

On the other hand it is very easy to create a keyboard mapping that uses dvorak layout for normal keys but has standard qwerty map when ctrl/shift/alt/whatever is pressed. But this is one single layout.

You could use MSKLC (Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator) to make one. If you can use CTRL-X (and X according to qwerty) then I suppose you're using one of these modified keyboards.

But in this case pressing these control keys does not revert to any other keyboard layout, you are not changing the keyboard layout at all. You are using the same one.

The Dvorak layout IS pre-installed not only on every Windows PC but also on every Mac and on every Linux. You just need to go to the control panel and switch the keyboard layout.
I have a non-English PC but here I found the steps in English
to change the keyboard layout:
conversationexchange.com/res ... nguage.php

So, it's not under "keyboard" as one might expect but rather under "Regional and Language Options" on Windows.

OK, I've just tested the pre-installed English Dvorak layout on my PC and realized that version doesn't automatically revert to the standard layout when pressing the CTRL key.

Anyway, having a non-English PC I've originally created my own Dvorak layout version using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.
More info here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Sim ... rd#Windows

So, it's the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator that gives the option to create a keyboard layout that automatically reverts to the standard layout when pressing the CTRL key.
(Macs have this feature pre-installed)

Since it isn't a standard layout, and now turns out to be something you've made yourself, until you give someone the layout nobody is going to investigate the issue.

Personally -- and I'm not speaking for GPSoftware here (this is a user-run forum and I don't represent them) -- I don't think this is an issue at all.

If it's just the Ctrl-X/C/V hotkeys then that's three things you have to modify (or add if you want it to work with both keyboard layouts) under Settings -> Customize -> Keys.

It'll take about 60 seconds for you to resolve the problem yourself using the tools that Opus already provides. On the other hand, it'd take GPSoftware hours of investigation, development and testing -- potentially introducing new bugs and definitely preventing other work from being done -- to make Opus compatible with this keymap which is used by a handful of people (or possibly only you since you made the keymap yourself). To me that doesn't seem like a good use of GPSoftware's time.

A keyboard layout which contradicts itself w.r.t. the Ctrl key is going to cause these issues in the Windows OS. Many programs (not just Opus) will receive a key-down message from Windows and then check if the Ctrl key was held at the same time. Whatever key Windows tells the program is what it will think is being pushed.

On OS X this Ctrl-Dvorak feature is built into the OS and handled in a way which doesn't send contradictory keyboard messages to applications. On Windows it isn't.

That's just my take, though. Whether or not GPSoftware would consider it an issue I don't know, but I do know they would not look at it unless the keymap was provided to them to help reproduce what you are seeing. Without the keymap there's too much guesswork.

On the other hand, if there is an inconsistency between how the Customize window sees the hybrid keymap and how the rest of the program see it -- i.e. so you can't easily assign the keys as desired -- then that would be something that should be fixed, IMO. Even then, though, you'd need to supply the keymap so that it can be tested against, and keep in mind that very few people use Dvorak and even fewer -- possible only one -- are using a custom-made hybrid keymap.