Error 0x8000FFF on attempting to install

The reason I asked is that I have already tried to download DOpus 12 on my laptop which is running the latest version of Windows 10 with the same error message (see note above).

Could there be a problem with my search engine - Google Chrome? or Microsoft Edge?

If there's a problem with downloading the installers, it's more likely to be caused by your antivirus than your web browser.

(As an aside, Chrome and Edge are web browsers, not a search engines. Google and Bing are examples of search engines.)

Have you checked the digital signature on the installer you've downloaded? That will tell you if the file has been downloaded correctly or not. "How to check for a corrupted installer or main program"

If the download is OK, antivirus could still cause it to fail if it blocks the installer from working normally for some reason.

The same is true of the Windows account problem, which is usually solved by installing from a fresh Windows account. Did you definitely follow all the steps for that and try that?

Are there any other Windows settings I should disable apart from Norton autoprotect and Norton firewall before attempting to download?

Not that we know of, or at least could predict. It depends on what's going on though.

• Have you checked the digital signature on the download?

• Have you definitely tried installing with another account?

DESKTOP (Ac: PEAS)

Windows v 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)

Norton 360 Disable autoprotect

Norton 360 Disable Smart Firewall

Chrome. www.gpsoft.com.au

Download Directory Opus 12 v12.17

DOpusinstall.exe

Properties\Digital Signatures\

GPSoftware sha1 “This digital signature is OK”:

GPSoftware sha256 “This digital signature is OK”

Install Directory Opus

Install Shield Wizard

Destination Folder c:\ProgramFile(x86)\GpSoftware\DirectoryOpus

Unhandled Exception

Error Number 0x8000FFF

Description: >Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (121)

DESKTOP (Ac: Barbican)

Chrome. www.gpsoft.com.au

DOpusinstall.exe

GPSoftware sha 256 “This digital signature is OK”

Install Directory Opus

Install Shield Wizard

Unhandled Exception

Error Number 0x8000FFF

LAPTOP

Windows v 1803 (OS Build 17134.1006)

Safari. www.gpsoft.com.au

DOpusinstall.exe

GPSoftware sha 256 “This digital signature is OK”

Install Directory Opus

Install Shield Wizard

Unhandled Exception

Error Number 0x8000FFF

Have spent enough time on this. Regrettably I will have to bid farewell to Directory Opus.

That indicates the problem is definitely the second bullet point in Problems installing Opus.

Windows is incorrectly telling the installer that your system is 32-bit when it is 64-bit.

The known solutions are to either install from a fresh Windows account (then switch back to your main account afterwards), or to reinstall Windows.

It is not Opus or the Opus installer that has gone wrong here, since it affects older versions of the installer which used to work fine on the exact same systems. Something has gone wrong with the Windows user profile or Windows install, or there is a piece of software that's breaking things and only run under the normal account.

Would it be possible to check this for us? It might be involved:

• Open RegEdit.exe
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
        Software
            Microsoft
                Windows NT
                    CurrentVersion
                        AppCompatFlags

• Right-click AppCompatFlags in the tree, choose Export, then zip and attach the result (via private message if you want).

That may be where the flag is which is making Windows tell the installer it is a 32-bit OS.

How do I attach a .zip file to this message?

Drag & drop it into the editor and it should attach. Many thanks!

AppCompat_031019.zip (13.2 KB)

Many thanks!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that was the cause.

Is there anything under here?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
        Microsoft
            Windows NT
                CurrentVersion
                    AppCompatFlags
                        Layers

(Actually, if it is there it would explain why it affected more than one account. I should have thought to look here first in this case.)

I have had the same problem...I just disabled Kaspersky, and the program installed, with no problems.

1 Like

Layers_041019.zip (395 Bytes)

Many thanks for the second registry file.

Unfortunately it doesn't show anything Opus-related being modified by the OS compatibility settings, so it doesn't look like it is those.

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know!

thank you for the program it's amazing!!

I've had this problem with every single update in v12. Every time, I solved the problem by:

1. locating the downloaded installation file (e.g. C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\Directory Opus Updates\DOpusInstall-x64-c0011-0.exe)

2. Open "Properties" (Alt + Enter)

3. Set program to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7

4. Double Click on intallation file again

Turning on any compatibility options can cause other problems (with Explorer Replacement in particular, but a lot of what Opus does depends on the exact OS version, and compatibility settings applied to the installer can be inherited by the exes it creates).

So we don't recommend this in general, but it's certainly worth a try if you're stuck and have tried everything else first.

If you do do that, please check the main dopus.exe and other exes under C:\Program Files\GPSoftware to ensure they do not have anything similar set, as they definitely should not.

As an aside, we're working on replacing the InstallShield installer with something that we have a lot more control over, which should help here.

1 Like

Thanks, Leo! I in fact have done the same check you recommended of the dopus.exe (and dopusrt.exe) at the path you gave, and I just did it again, and I can confirm that they have not inherited the compatibility settings of the installer.

I do remember however that after each update, the first time dopus is run, windows would ask me whether "the program is working correctly" (something along those lines), as if dopus executable itself has been launched in compatibility mode (when in fact it isn't). Probably a windows bug.

1 Like

IME it's never a good idea to ask that prompt to fix problems as it almost always breaks things instead, and usually appears in error in the first place. The heuristics behind it are terrible. Not sure why it's still part of the OS.

It shouldn't (in theory) appear for any (recent) Opus executable as we flag them as being made for Windows 10 (and earlier).

This is a bit of a long shot, but we've tweaked some attributes of the installer related to Windows compatibility settings and made a test version here:

If you're still seeing the problem, it might be worth a try. Please let us know if it makes a difference.

(The version it installs is 12.17.4, but it's different to the normal installer for that version.)