Error oxc0000005

Hope some one can shed some light on my problem. Been using opus for many years without problem, but in the last few weeks opus has been freezing when opening a new lister with the following error

"The error (OxC0000005) occured in the thread 'DOPUS_MAIN' at address 0X773F8359"

I am given the option to restart opus, but this sometimes results in opus freezing completely. If I reject the restart, kill opus processes in task manager, then restart opus, it will run fine again.

The address can change but the error is always the same. I have tried removing and reinstalling opus, changing my AV and removing all updates and changes to Windows 7 Pro (x64) beyond the point that the problems stated happening.

Each time I think I have solved the problem, without worning, the error comes back.

Any ideas where to turn next?

Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing a certain directory is a good place to start.

OK , thanks Leo, will have a play around with plug ins and extensions

So far no change, I have disabled all dopus plugins and disabled as many file types as possible while still leaving windows usable, and I still get the error, a couple of times I have not even got a dopus window open, and I get an error.

Any other ideas where I can look?

What do you mean by disabling file types?

Have you tried using ShellExView to look at which shell extensions are installed?

Are you working with video files? There could be a video codec crashing, even with the movie plugin disabled, if thumbnail generation is being triggered. (If it is that, you might also see some kind of crash when pointing Explorer's thumbnail view at the same files.)

Are any crash dumps created, matching the date/time of the crashes?

Thanks for the support Leo. Sorry, should have been a little clearer, I used ShellExView to disable shell extensions. An interestind point regarding video codecs, I do have a video suit installed. I will try and track down what codecs are installed, though this program has been installed since day dot on this machine, it doesnt mean a file has not been corrupted down the line.

I will try a few more things over the next few days and report back.

Unfortunatly I am drawing a blank. Each time I think I have found the culprit, dopus crashes again. I have noticed a couple of times it has happend while I am using Excel 2007, but not every time. I have removed all video software, and tried disabling as many shell extensions as possible with shellexview as well as disabling all dopus plugins. Any other suggestions?

Are any crash dumps created, matching the date/time of the crashes?

Have you tried reinstalling Opus over the top of itself, in case something's wrong there?

If so, an extra step is to try a fresh install with completely default configuration. Do a config backup first (Settings -> Backup & Restore), then uninstall Opus (this will wipe your config, which is what the backup is for), then reboot and reinstall Opus. (Don't restore your config backup yet. Use Opus for a while to see if the crash still happens. If it doesn't, there may be something in your config which is triggering the crash.)

Other general suggestions can be found here: General slowdown or instability investigation steps

Thanks Leo, I have tried a full reinstall of Dopus from fresh, but did install my config immediatly after, will try a fresh vanilla install and see how I get on with that. I have looked for crash dumps but havnt found any that are relevant to the dates or time of Dopus crashes.

I made an observation just now after the latest crash (no, a vanilla instal of DOpus did not solve the problem).

I noticed one of the icons in the directory I had opened was blank. I wonder is this could point to a corrupt icon cache or some thing.

Instead of clicking ok to close Dopus, I moved the error window to one side, and Dopus carried on working fine. After a couple of mins, the icon reappeard.

I have just deleted the cache, rebooted and let it rebuild and will see if this is where the error lies.

An Icon Handler or Icon Overlay Handler shell-extension might cause blank icons and/or crashes.

I haven't heard of icon-cache corruption causing any problems other than the wrong icons/overlays appearing, but I guess it is possible.

Unfortunatly this didnt help, I also tried disableing all Icon Overlay Handlers (including the microsoft ones) and still get the errors. I really have draw a blank on this one. Any suggestions on anyrhing I can run in the back ground that might catch these errors and give a better insight to what is causing them?

Just the general stuff in the thing I linked earlier ( General slowdown or instability investigation steps ), assuming you've already tried the other posts which it links to at the top.

Sorry Leo, missed the link to the dumps. I have zipped them up and will PM them to you.

Think I have finally found the culprit as I can now reproduce the crash on demand. We use an RDP client to connecto to a remote desktop in the office. When ever I open excel on the remote desktop, as soon as I try to open a DOpus lister, DOpus falls over. I am not sure why this is causing the problem as the only thing that is shared between the local and remote desktop is the clipboard.

as a test, I have tried constantly opening the same directory in DOpus with no errors. Open excel on the remote desktop, the error occurs as soon as I open a lister.

As above, open excel, then close the remote desktop before I open a lister, no problem.

Now I Just need to try and find what the client is doing

On further investigation, the client does connect to my local drives, but this connection can only be seen from the remote desktop, not from my machine. What I dont understand is why this has only started in the last 3-4 weeks when I have been using the client for the last couple of years.

The client I am using is TSPLUS, I have just switched over to the generic microsoft RDP client to see if this gives helps with the problem.