Errors when accessing Netgear ReadyNAS from Win8.1

Hi

I have Directory Opus Pro 10.5.3.0 (5016) x64 OS 6.2 (B:9200 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0 running on a Windows 8.1 64 laptop and a Netgear ReadyNAS connected to my wireless router. Whenever I attempt to copy large files (10Gb) to the NAS or, occasionally, when I try to rename a file on the NAS I get an error message which includes:
"The system cannot find the path specified. [3]"

What gives? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks

Rob

The error is coming from the NAS (or, less likely, from Windows) rather than Opus itself; Opus is just reporting the error.

From a quick search, this thread may be relevant:
[ul] [li]NetGear ReadyNAS Community Forum: "The system cannot find the path specified(3)" message[/li][/ul]

There also seem to be lots of complaints about the ReadyNAS and Windows 8.1, with the ReadyNAS software reporting "error: -3" when initialising, which may be related. (Maybe their -3 error is turning into a 3 error in some contexts, since Win32 error codes can't be negative. It may just be a coincidence, though.)
[ul] [li] readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=73510[/li]
[li] readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73562[/li]
[li] readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 75&t=72700 [/li][/ul]

Checking for updates to both the PC-side software and the device-side software/firmware would be my first step in trying to solve this. I'd also check if you get similar errors using Explorer and not just in Opus (although if you don't it can just mean that the NAS vendor only did minimal testing with Explorer and missed problems that they have with anything accessing files slightly differently).

Copy buffer speed and type can affect some problematic devices as well (Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_buffer_size and copy_nonbufferedio_threshold), as can antivirus software.

Thanks Leo. I'll check the links you've provided. I have to say however, that I'd be more willing to accept this as a NAS problem if it wasn't for the fact that I do not have any of these issues using Windows Explorer.

For now, the issue has gone on the back burner because a power failure yesterday appears to have scrambled the NAS :cry:

Sometimes I hate computers!

Cheers

Rob

We've seen lots of cases where NAS devices only had minimal testing with Explorer and went wrong when anything else tried to access the drives slightly differently. Usually fixed in firmware updates to the NAS devices once the vendor was alerted (but it makes you wonder, really...)