Every operation is very slow

Hi,

i'm using DO 10.5.2.3 (64Bit) on a Windows 7 (64Bit) Box. Don't really know whether the problem started after i got Win 7 on my box, or after i started using DO 10. however, once opus has been running for a couple of minutes it starts to become very slow in response. it doesn't matter what operation i'm trying to execute (typing on my keyboard to jump to a directory, navigation with the mouse, trying to open a context menu, opening preferences, ...) it becomes slower and slower the longer it is running and was not active. as soon as i start actively using certain operations, these become normal in response after a while, however the operations i don't use are still very slow on the first usage.

i have also Trend Micro Officescan running. Can't turn it off, as it is a corporate PC.

kind regards

Is Task Manager showing high CPU or RAM usage?

If you can run Resource Monitor (it may require admin rights), that will also show if there's high disk or network use, and which process it's affiliated with.

(Those are both built into Windows.)

If you can install and run Process Monitor, that may shine even more light on what's going on, as it can show which files are being accessed and that may point to a particular operation or component.

i managed to install processmonitor. i'd suggest i'll record all the events that are associated with dopus(rt) and pm you the file, in order to keep the entries confidential.

Sure, if you do that I'll take a look.

Thanks for the log file.

It doesn't show Opus doing that much at all for the ~15 minutes it covers. There are a couple of sections where Opus is refreshing the icons and other details of some folders to do with ColdFusion but I don't think the activity goes on long enough for it to be the cause of what you describe.

(If you want to test that theory anyway, set Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: no_external_change_notify = True and see if the problem remains. You'll want to set it back to False afterwards, since it stops Opus responding to changes made to files and folders.)

What do Task Manager and Resource Monitor show, in terms of CPU, RAM and disk usage? Is it dopus.exe or something else? (I noticed a few other processes in the log which seem to be using some CPU, for example.)

Task Manager shows increased utilisation of CPU. Resource Monitor shows the same, while dopus is at the top of the list and the process name is red.

From the 2nd PML log you sent, Opus is using very little CPU and is not doing much at all, but almost all of its operations are due to page faults (some taking a very long time), which means the machine is so low on memory that parts of dopus.exe (and probably other processes) have been flushed from memory and back to the HDD.

Once that starts happening, almost everything on the machine will be incredibly slow, since what was an extremely quick memory access will turn into an extremely slow disk access.

The log shows other programs having similar problems, most notably the Trend Micro anti-virus scanner (ntrtscan.exe), which is also spending a lot of time paging data. (I'm not sure if it is performing a virus scan as well, which might slow things down even more as the disk is the bottleneck once the system starts paging, but I don't think the virus scanner is causing the problems, at least from what's in the log. It is using a fair amount of CPU, but probably not enough for that to be what's slowing things down; it uses about 2 minutes of CPU time over the 8 minute window. That may mean it is maxing out one CPU if you have 4-CPU machine.)

Neither the virus scan nor Opus appear to be using a great deal of memory, but there are several processes using a lot of memory (e.g. ColdFusion using 500MB, Java using 70MB-170MB, SQL Server using about 200MB, another service using 250MB).

All that memory usage plus the way Opus and other processes are spending huge amounts of time hitting the page file suggests that your machine is simply running out of physical memory, and having to use virtual memory which is orders of magnitude slower.

Have a look at the memory tab in Resource Monitor, especially the Physical Memory graph at the bottom. If that shows all memory In Use or Modified when things are slow, then the slowness is because you are out of RAM.

Normally, when things are running smoothly, you'd see something more like this, where some RAM is In Use but most is Standby or Free:

leo, i think you're right. do becomes slow only in situations where most of RAM is in use and the system starts to page. so, consider it solved :slight_smile: