Everything 1.5a

Can Everything 1.5a be already used with Dopus 13?
If not, I would like to suggest that Dopus 13 can be customized
for which Everything "instance" should be used.
I used the term "instance" because the commandline-tool es.exe from voidtools
lets you specify the argument "-instance 1.5a" such that it communicates with
an Everything 1.5a server.

1.4 only at the moment.

We're waiting for 1.5 to be out of beta before adding support.

I think there wasn't a published API for 1.5 yet, at least the last time we checked (although that was a few months ago now).

Well, actually it's still alpha.

The 1.5 SDK is still on the to-do list. Will likely be released during the beta stage.

FWIW: Using the new 1.5 search commands will work, but new advanced file properties -- like metadata and (Opus!) tags can not yet be returned using the current SDK version.

1 Like

I'm guessing that you're checking if everything is running with Everything_GetMajorVersion() and Everything_GetMinorVersion().
Would it be possible to have a hidden option or override to support 1.5 for advanced users or something similar?
I'd be happy for it to be super hidden in a windows registry key or accessed through some other manner, so it's not toggled by accident by other users, but I'd really would like to use it with Everything 1.5a

For what's worth, 1.5a works great with EverythingDopus, provided the user sets alpha_instance=0 :slight_smile:

Everything Search 1.5.0.1359a, the latest version, works with Everything FAYT Filter This script works off of the Filter Bar, see Prefs PAGE="quickkeys" EverythingDopus is called from buttons, hotkeys or a context menu.

@jinsight Unfortunately not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the heads up

@Zoc your assumption is way off track. There is no SDK for v1.5 yet. That is why it is not officially supported.
FWIW, you can use too the DOpus integration with Everything v1.5 as long as you disable the named instances with alpha_instance=0.

@errante SDK v1.4 works with v1.5a without issues, just the new features (that obviously doesn't exist in SDK v1.4) can't be used.

I just updated to DOpus 13.0.45 and I see Everything working now. For some reason it wasn't detecting it in the previous version (not sure what version I had previously, but I'm guessing .44)

Exactly my point and that is why your assumption above is wrong. In order to use the SDK with v1.5, you have to disable named instances in EV. Without that you can't use the SDK. But that is a decision from the voidtools side, it is not something that depends on the DOpus devs or what the DOpus devs should work on. AFAIK, DOpus does not restrict you in any way if it detects that you are using v1.5.

I have been using it since the first betas and it has never stopped working for me.

I have no idea why it wasn't being detected before, but now it is - that's why I thought it was related to some version checking lock.
I did also update everything in meantime, so it could've been an issue with the version I had previously.

Keep in mind: it's not because something works for you that it works for everyone else. I came here to ask for help for this reason, no need to be rude about it.

In any case, everything (including Everything) is working now, so thanks for the help.

@Zoc sorry if my previous responses came across as blunt; that was not my intention. I understand that not everything is clear-cut, and it's great to see you're making progress with your setup. We're all here to learn and help each other.

4 Likes