Excel-related glitch

When an Excel .xlsx file is launched by clicking on it within Dopus the file loads but row heights and column widths are much higher/wider than they should be, although font size is not increased. And in the Excel Status Bar at the bottom of Excel, “Display Settings” appears. Neither of these behaviours are seen when launching the Excel file from Windows Explorer.

I usually run with a secondary, lower res, monitor and would not be surprised to see ‘Display Settings’ in that situation (it gives users the option to either “Optimize for Best Appearance” or “Optimize for Compatibility” for lower res screens). But I also see it when using only the Surface Book screen, with no secondary monitor attached or recognised and even after a restart.

Running Excel 365 v1903 Build 11425.20244 Click to Run on Windows 10 on Surface Book 2 15”.

That must be a bug in Excel (or possibly Windows) because Opus has nothing to do with how Excel chooses to draw its windows. We just run the program and pass it the name of the file to open, and the rest is up to it.

Just in case, make sure none of the compatibility options are turned on in the Properties dialog for dopus.exe or excel.exe. Those settings could potentially be inherited when one program launches another, and none of them should ever be turned on for Opus.

You were right. I had the Dopus shortcut's compatibility settings set to 'override high dpi scaling behaviour' 'scaling performed by system, enhanced'. If I turn that off then this Excel problem goes away. But then Dopus text on a secondary, lower res monitor is blurry. As discussed before there doesn't seem to be much that can be to be done about that except for me to buy a secondary monitor of same res as my primary, which I am doing.