Exclude hidden subfolders from search?

Hi, is there a way to exclude hidden subfolders from being searched with the file search (when the Search Subfolders option is checked)?

Yes: Use the Advanced mode and add a Sub-Folder clause to the filter.

For example, this finds all files called *.jpg below the current directory, excluding everything below hidden directories:

Thank you, but this is too complicated and cumbersome for my every-day use.

I need to exclude only a specific subfolder in a specific directory where I often search for files. So a better solution would be: A file (e.g. DO.excl) contains the name of the subfolder(s) which should automatically be excluded from search.

Edit: A (invisible) file (e.g. DO.excl) inside the search directory contains the name of the subfolder(s) which should automatically be excluded from search.

Shouldn't be any reason for it to be 'cumbersome' for you to use. You should be able to save that filter and modify your hotkeys and/or buttons that run the Find command to always use that filter whenever you run a search... without having to 'set it up' all the time.

small question: why is this partially not working?

it does search all items regarding name or date, but the exclusion of the folders must be wrong, since it does search in those places.

For me it reads: search name equal xyz, path is not xyzpath.

I also wonder, why "." in the names part (replacing the (.rar|.exe...) stuff) won´t find anything. How would a filter look, that excludes certain folders & would find anything (.) newer than one week?

Matching by Location won't stop Opus searching within non-matching folders. It will look at everything in those folders and then realise that they don't match your filter and reject them. Which is obviously a waste of time.

This is why the Subfolder clause exists. You should use that to tell Opus not to even look inside of a folder.

Remember also that a file in, say, M:\Sandbox\ab will not have a location matching M:\Sandbox\ab* because the \ on the end of the path isn't in that file's location. If you want to match things in or below a path then you should use something like:

M:\Sandbox\ab(|\*)

That matches both the exact location and all sub-directories from that location.

But if you are using the Subfolder clause you don't have to do this as you can just say

Subfolder, No Match, M:\Sandbox\ab

and Opus will not look inside M:\Sandbox\ab at all, and thus not look inside any sub-folders of there either.

[quote="leo"]
But if you are using the Subfolder clause you don't have to do this as you can just say

Subfolder, No Match, M:\Sandbox\ab

and Opus will not look inside M:\Sandbox\ab at all, and thus not look inside any sub-folders of there either.[/quote]

Yes, that did it, thx! One more related question: How can i exclude the Recyclers without having a rule for each drive?

Recycle Bins should (I think) always have the same name on each drive. On Vista they seem to be called $Recycle.Bin, so something like this would exclude them on all drives:

SubFolder, No Match, Name, $Recycle.Bin

If you wanted to ensure that only $Recycle.Bin folders in the root of a drive were ignored, in case some other folder happened to have the same name, then you could add some clauses to do that, but it seems like a safe bet not to worry about that. (At least with the name that Vista uses.)

[quote="leo"]Recycle Bins should (I think) always have the same name on each drive. On Vista they seem to be called $Recycle.Bin, so something like this would exclude them on all drives:

SubFolder, No Match, Name, $Recycle.Bin

If you wanted to ensure that only $Recycle.Bin folders in the root of a drive were ignored, in case some other folder happened to have the same name, then you could add some clauses to do that, but it seems like a safe bet not to worry about that. (At least with the name that Vista uses.)[/quote]

yeah, thanks, i will try that. I have now a whole bunch of search filters, & in some search modes there where quite a lot entries pointing at the recyclers, which isn´t of course wrong, but i usually search only in the normal folders & checking the bin by looking in it, if necessary.