Exitool Integration - Big Feature Request

The ExifTool Customs Columns script has made DOpus indispensable to me, and I can now use DOpus for many essential photo and video organizing tasks.

I hope you will consider integrating Exiftool with DOpus some day! Most photo and video applications do have Exiftool integrated. I'm not sure about Audio/Music applications, but I assume so.

The need to visit this forum to watch for posts about updating the ExifTool Custom Columns script and helper buttons is an inconvenience.

I believe that having ExifTool integrated with DOpus would attract many more users who need to access and edit Exif metadata but are unable or unwilling to customize DOpus accordingly.

Which EXIF data are you missing from what's built-in already? It makes more sense for us to add support directly instead of via an external command-line tool.

Do you mean what's built in to DOpus directly and not including what's available through the ExifTool Custom Columns script?

I know that some photo applications have ExifTool built-in - the user does not see it or install it separately, and the user does not use the command line.
Other applications access and display many different Exif and XMP fields.
It is essential for me to be able to view the following metadata fields not currently available in DOpus:

Photo
Exif-DateTimeOriginal
Exif-CreateDate
Exif-ModifyDate
XMP-CreateDate
XMP-PersonInImage
I can tell a lot from the combination of Exif and XMP date fields a photo has. For example, a scanned photo can have an Exif DateTimeOriginal, display a 'Date Taken' and yet not have complete/intact date metadata. So, only by viewing several fields can I tell if a photo is scanned, or if the photo's 'Date Taken' really represents the date the shutter was pressed.

Video
QuickTime-MediaDuration
QuickTime-Createdate

Also, access to more metadata fields for HEIC and MOV files.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

We've made a note of it and discussed some ideas internally about how it could work, but don't have anything to say yet.

2 Likes

it seems to me that EveryThing 1.5a integration would help. all questions to
lxp and apocalypse!!!

https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9788

I just tested 'Everything' for the first time.
Unfortunately, it does not display essential photo metadata fields like 'Exif DateTimeOriginal' and other photo date metadata fields. It displays 'Date Taken' which is a Windows property. Many people believe that 'Date Taken' equals 'Exif DateTimeOriginal', but it does not.

yes, u're right. mistaked. and what's about this?