Explorer Replacement

How do I set DOpus as an Explorer Replacement if I want DO, when I open a shortcut to a single folder to default to a single window with a Large Icons view but retain the "standard" default (double-pane explorer style) otherwise?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

I guess you need to set default layout to single Window/Large icons, create another, named layout with double-panels, and set it to open on double-click on DO icon, desktop etc.

X.

O-o-o-o-h-h-h-h... so the "standard" launch is the single window set, and the double is for the "Double-click / Desktop options...?

Chuck

[quote="Xyzzy"]I guess you need to set default layout to single Window/Large icons, create another, named layout with double-panels, and set it to open on double-click on DO icon, desktop etc.

X.[/quote]

Chuck - I 'think' you understood correctly, but it seems you've still got some lingering confusion over how the different settings in the 'Layout' Prefs page work. I'd suggest continuing on with the discussions in your other topics. Let us know how things are working out over there...

Edit - The reason I say this is that the important thing about the 'Layout' options is to realize that Opus has different ways of being called up - each of which can be configured to look a different way. The way you'd like the folder shortcut target to show up in an Opus lister would be affected by the same settings which kick into play as when you click on the 'Directory Opus' program shortcut installed on the desktop or Quick Launch bar - i.e. the 'Default Lister' or settings on the other 'Default xxx' pages in Prefs.

Steje... blimey... and I thought I was starting to understand...

But I am/will continue on and I shall (tee-he) be back...

Thanks,
Chuck

[quote="steje"]Chuck - I 'think' you understood correctly, but it seems you've still got some lingering confusion over how the different settings in the 'Layout' Prefs page work. I'd suggest continuing on with the discussions in your other topics. Let us know how things are working out over there...

Edit - The reason I say this is that the important thing about the 'Layout' options is to realize that Opus has different ways of being called up - each of which can be configured to look a different way. The way you'd like the folder shortcut target to show up in an Opus lister would be affected by the same settings which kick into play as when you click on the 'Directory Opus' program shortcut installed on the desktop or Quick Launch bar - i.e. the 'Default Lister' or settings on the other 'Default xxx' pages in Prefs.[/quote]

You are. Don't be so hard on yourself, and don't bite off too much at once. DOpus generally has more horsepower under the hood than most are going to (or should) use right off the bat.

Steje is correct though, just get used to layouts and Styles first, play with them for a week or two. Then, start getting crazy of when one launches over another. If you change too much too soon, you will miss which change affected what.

Remember that 12-step Style layout thin I posted in another thread? I suggested that to make every lister you launch look the same. In so doing, I wanted to help you see which was affected by a Style, which a Layout, etc. Once you understand all the details Steje and I put in that thread, then start branching off from that knowledge by tweak our suggestions. But always make sure you understand which dirt road you are turning onto and how to get back to the highway.

Ken:

That's what I'm trying to tie myself down to do (honest).

I kinda got DO to start the same way each time, although as you well know, there are small (big resulting) differences between the different starts, relative to the settings. So I thought:

"Self, you kinda got the hang of this starting thing... now, what about your TWO different default preferences?"

By this I meant/mean (simplified): for the most part, if I'm opening a specific folder (aside from a drive), I prefer doing it in a single window, no tree, and yet, access to "that which is above."

On the other hand, if I'm just opening "Explorer", that's pretty much what I'm after -- tree in left, icons for default folder on right.

So, again, I say to myself: "Self, what we have here is TWO default layouts. And it seems that this can be controlled by whether you are opening DO via desktop icon, tray icon, or specific folder."

So that's where I now find myself pawing around... (also why I posted about saving the defaults in case of catastrophe!).

Slowly, oh, so slowly, but, rest assured, surely.

Don't tickle me too hard, or I'll get on you about programming buttons to take care of some of MY everyday tasks! To paraphrase, this is the user that tries developers' souls!

Regards,
Chuck