Faster files/folders sizing! and recent names history

On my WinXP machine with NTFS windows do up to twice as fast files/folders sizing and counting then DOpus 8 does!

I have Athlon64 3000+ 1024MB RAM.

Also it would be nice to have recent history of names in create new folder window as well as in search window.
And option to easily remove history off course.

And yes I had Amiga 500 too! :slight_smile:)
DOpus is SUPERB! Keep up the good work.

This would be nice and have noticed differences between the two.

My problem with DO speed is simply reading a directory. It seems to be much, much slower than Explorer to display the a folder with many directories and files. Especially with network drives.

[quote]
raisers wrote:
On my WinXP machine with NTFS windows do up to twice as fast files/folders sizing and counting then DOpus 8 does![/quote]
Do you mean when you hover over a folder in Explorer and it shows an approximate size inte tooltip? This is faster because it doesn't bother to get an accurate size. For example, Explorer says my Program Files directory is "over 175 meg," whatever that means!

Comparing the time it takes the Properties dialog, which is provided by Explorer, to the time Opus's GetSizes command takes is more fair. Opus doesn't seem slow in comparison, to me, I haven't measured them.

(Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick!)

[quote]
Also it would be nice to have recent history of names in create new folder window as well as in search window.[/quote]

Not bad ideas. (Assume you mean a history of folders searched in the search pane, since the other things already have histories.) Should perhaps be posted as separate ideas in the feature requests section.

[quote]
Zero-Point wrote:
It seems to be much, much slower than Explorer to display the a folder with many directories and files. Especially with network drives.[/quote]

I'd advise you turn off the Description column and any others which cause Opus to get extra information from files (image dimensions etc.) since this can have an impact on Network bandwidth (even though Opus gets the information in the background) which slows things down. In Preferences / Folders you can set Folder Options for network drives so they're automatically different.

You can also tell Opus to display generic icons for files on network drives, rather than extracting the icon from each file. This speeds things up a fair amount.

Apart from that, it shouldn't be slower than anything else, unless something's wrong. Have a look at the advise
in this post.

I meant comparing sizing in explorer when u select properties of folder (not hoovering baloon tip) compared to the same in dopus or with hoovering (i think its the same in dopus).

I noticed quite a difference in speed. If you test it a bit I'm sure you'll notice too that windows properties is much faster. And I have absolutely no idea why. I have NTFS on Win XP SP2.

Good thing is that dopus picks up whatever windows explorer has sized and continues from there :wink:

If you do some scientific tests (we have) you'll find the speed is almost identical.

However Windows automatically caches file system information in memory once it has been accessed. The first time you read a folder will always be slower than subsequent times, even in different programs.

To be truely objective, time the operation in Explorer, then reboot, and time the same operation in Opus. You'll find there's no practical difference.

(Btw, "hoovering" means vacuum cleaning. I think you want "hovering" :slight_smile:

I must admit this to be a little strange. I've been testing the sizing and files counting speed Explorer vs DOpus again and this time didn't notice speed difference!

There was one rather big change though, this time I had a fresh install of WinXP and all the files were defragmented using O&O Defrag Pro.

Yeah, I meant hovering. English is not my mother tongue so expect more mistakes like that.