Feature Request: A New Flat View by Fixed Size

Alright, this sounds goofy, but bear with me ... it will pay off ...

Right now, we can Flat View a couple of ways; with and without folder grouping, for example. And its cool.

What I propose is a weird new revolutionary way of "grouping" files in Flat View; Fixed Size Collective.

This would be TOTALLY easy to do (I think - from a fellow developer point of view anyway) and I think would offer some REAL value add.

Summary Description

For those that don't like to read, here is the summary: Show groups of files similar to flat view, but instead of grouping by folder, group by a set group size which would give us 'ready to burn' collections of files for archiving. Doesn't make sense? Read on ...

Detailed Description

Let's say, you have a 16GB MP3 collection (believe it or not, all legal) sitting on your dedicated file server which doubles as your DVR behind your TV (hey, nothing like specifics) and you'd like to backup that 16GB of MP3 to DVDROM.

Now, what are your CURRENT choices? Using some commercial utility that forces some ZIP compression or some proprietary method that requires that same program to restore a lost file from it. Unacceptable - why can't we have a straight file backup? Believe me, I've done my homework.

The other choice is how I'm currently doing it - managing 4x File Collections filled with < 4.3GB of MP3 files and backing up those file collections. But that seems goofy when we have a totally powerful tool like Dopus.

Fixed Size Collective would be JUST LIKE Flat View with Grouped Folders now - EXCEPT ... the grouping is on a FILE SIZE. A new 'folder' is started when the files exceed the size specified.

In this manner, I could EASILY point myself to a folder, it chops the folder up neatly into 100MB, 650MB, 700MB, or 4.3GB chunks naming the folders something sequentially numbered and I can drag and drop the listings to Nero or whatever and back them up, set the archive bit, etc. with great ease. Heck, I could even programmatically create my OWN backup system with buttons and Nero.

An alternative is another tool added to the collective that allows you to point to a folder, and it creates file collections FOR you - sort of like the FIND tool with Flat View Grouped by Fixed Size results.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one that would benefit from this?

This is not a DOpus answer for you, but it might be something to think about. There's a command line file manager out there named xxcopy, and I use it a lot with DOpus. In fact I've found the combination of DOpus, 4NT scripting, and xxcopy to be amazingly powerful and flexible when it comes to solving any file management challenge I might have. One of xxcopy's many options is an option to check the remaining space on the destination during a copy process. Once the remaining space gets down to the specified size, xxcopy stops and prompts me to insert another DVD, CD, zip disk or whatever. This has the advantage that the destination "size" does not have to be changed for each type of destination media.

John

An interesting solution ... the only problem I could see with that (other than I have no clue how to use those tools :slight_smile: ) is that to do that, you'd have to embrace packet writing technology. I'm pretty much against packet writing of any kind; it simply has not proven itself compatible and reliable in my experiences.

What truly amazes me is that there really is NO backup solution for someone that wants traditional backup methodology using PLAIN FILES (i.e. direct accessibility to the backed up files) that simply span discs as space becomes unavailable. I don't mind building disc images on the fly to get around packet writing ...

The closest I've come is Handy Backup which ALMOST does the trick - but it will FILL the target medium to completeness and SPLIT the last file across the current and next backup medium - basically making that last file irretrievable without special software.

After spending a good day researching and trying a couple dozen utilities, I finally digressed and went with the File Collection system mentioned above - but its got lots of issues (like incremental future backups).

Do appreciate the reply tho! :slight_smile: