Feature Request: Multi-Part FTP

I don't want to harp on about this too much since I think I made my point. Mentioning features like the conversion or image viewer is a bit moot. I only want to add that managing files, directories, etc. across the internet or an intranet is more of a natural extension of what DO is designed to be used for. The FTP component is meant to facilitate being able to connect to a server anywhere in the world and manage files and directories as if its on a local machine or network. At least that is how I understood it so I would have thought it may have had more development focus than it currently has.

The advanced ftp add-on is only charged for once; you dont pay for it again when upgrading.

If it is not is not re-factored into the upgrade price and the cost is the same, irrespective of what add-ons were initially chosen, then that is all good. I'm relieved I haven't miss-spent money every time I upgraded. I think my comment about the manner in which the feature is advertised for first time buyers is still relevant, unless I have missed something? I don't understand why this is marketed as an "advanced feature"?

At the end of the day, it's just a shame that this area has not been developed (feature-wise) for the last x years, but I understand you have different priorities.

SFTP and FTPS are 'advanced' versions of FTP.

We're arguing semantics here which isn't terribly productive. Let's move on, please.

I think the semantic distinction is an important one, (especially when money is involved) as not all people will assume that distinction refers to a difference in network protocol. But you are right, it is time to move on.

Before you can buy the add-on, there is a "What's This?" link which says "Advanced FTP: Enables Advanced FTP features such as SSH and SecureFTP".

It's also all enabled during the evaluation process, so people can see what the program does and doesn't do.

I have a few comments to that, but think we should just agree to disagree like you previously suggested. We know where we are on the issue and I respect your point of view. As I have said many times previously, I think Dopus is a great piece of software and I don't want a discussion about one of its poorer features to be amplified to a greater amount than necessary. I hope you don't take my comments in the wrong way. I was just expressing my frustration regarding one facet of the program and that shouldn't detract from the many things that you guys get really spot on. :slight_smile:

When you mentioned all those areas where DOpus would have to be rewritten, I personally realized that this feature really would take a lot of time to accomplish.

Maybe a button that starts multi-part copying in external application would be a great solution for the group of people who use FTP and often transfer large files?

This is an old thread but I want to vote for multi-threaded FTP. I'm a longtime user and what brought me to this forum for the first time was the slow FTP.

Even I would love this feature on board. I had added advanced FTP to my license but end up not using it for large file transfers. While DO is great for editing files in my server. CuteFTP is still the god for me when it comes to advanced FTPing. The multi-threaded/segmented downloads caps your bandwidth and gets you maximum FTP speeds. Haven't tried BitKinex

BitKinex is pretty good, albeit a bit ugly

Please stay on topic. Help & Support is for Opus tech support. You can talk about other software, but please use the Coffeeshop area.

What is the likelihood of seeing features requested in this topic being included in Opus 12?

Low in the very near future. We're at a beta stage for Opus 12 so the features are fairly locked-in now, although there are one or two things that we've been working on which are not ready yet and may or may not be part of Opus 12 when it is finished (but this isn't one of them).

There are so many different ways to go about doing file transfers, beyond what DOpus is already doing, it's hard to imagine exactly how people want FTP and SFTP speeds increased?

[ul]
[li]Do you want more threads (this would be bad when you're traveling an on unstable connections)?[/li]
[li]Do you want better download resumption (DO already seems to do an OK job with this via FTP)?[/li]
[li]Do you want want large files to be split up and transerred in parallel?[/li]
[li]Do you want small files to be combined and then split on the server? (but then how are you going to run commands on the server?)[/li][/ul]
For me, I travel frequently and use a mix of some very fast and some very slow unbeliveably unstable connections. There are many ways to speed up file transfer, but picking the one hack that satisfies everyone seems to be nearly impossible. I think the problem isn't DO, but archaic internet protocols that haven't been updated to keep up with the times... FTP, SFTP and SMTP all would benefit from optimization... I use a mix of lftp and rsync scripts, augmented by adhoc use of axel, curl, lwp-download, and wget. Certainly there are other great open source file transfer tools that I'm not aware of.

Perhaps integrating transparent, automated use of these open source utilities would be a relatively easy way to the DOpus team to bring more file transfer satisfaction to DOpus users?

I would LOOOOOOOVE to see multi-threaded ftp in DO 13. I would even pay more to have this feature than to make use of an external program.