[Feature Request] Re-add ImageShack upload again

As I said above, the tools at the location you point to are all unsatisfactory in my opinion, and I believe I've tried just about every one of them.

It's got nothing to do with not looking around for stuff, but it does have a lot to do with the fact we had an option in DOpus which was really good until the image hoster decided to move to a pricing model. What disappoints us is there was no alternative host(s) chosen to keep this great feature in DOpus and save us all countless hours trying out other ways to do what was about 3 seconds work before.

Supporting a different host isn't just a matter of changing "www.imageshack.com" to "www.imgur.com". The API would be totally different. The code would have to be written and tested. We would need a new icon and most probably new text would need to be translated into all the languages that Opus supports. And at the end of it all we would have no guarantee that whichever alternate host we picked wouldn't immediately go and do the same thing as ImageShack has done.

The integration of third-party web services has been an experiment, and the experiment has shown that third-party providers owe us nothing, can't be relied on, and won't even talk to us if we have questions about their service. Flickr support has only survived because the API is mostly unchanged and they have now moved to a totally free service, but I think it's extremely unlikely we'll ever be building support for a third-party service into the program again.

I think we all appreciate that changing to another image hosting service wasn't 5 minutes work and required a lot of effort on your part, but you'll probably appreciate also that many users seemingly got great value and use out of that function and are understandably frustrated when for various reasons it is completely removed.

No-one likes to see something they often use removed from software, just ask Windows 8 users... :wink:

I just tried this one, but it´s too cumbersome. I have to open the site & copy the URL manually.

http://imguruploader.codeplex.com/releases/view/40965

I felt the same way when Google Reader shut down, but you know, life goes on... :slight_smile:

[quote="jon"]Supporting a different host isn't just a matter of changing "www.imageshack.com" to "www.imgur.com". The API would be totally different. The code would have to be written and tested. We would need a new icon and most probably new text would need to be translated into all the languages that Opus supports. And at the end of it all we would have no guarantee that whichever alternate host we picked wouldn't immediately go and do the same thing as ImageShack has done.

The integration of third-party web services has been an experiment, and the experiment has shown that third-party providers owe us nothing, can't be relied on, and won't even talk to us if we have questions about their service. Flickr support has only survived because the API is mostly unchanged and they have now moved to a totally free service, but I think it's extremely unlikely we'll ever be building support for a third-party service into the program again.[/quote]

Thanks for this explanation, jon. You bring up some good points, and have helped me to understand the situation from a different perspective.

I'm still on the lookout for a tool that works with a stable image host which will provide similar functionality to the lost-but-not-forgotten flickr feature from DO10. I will post back when I find something :slight_smile:

Well yes, if somebody finds a tool as easy to use as the built in DO 10 upload tool, please post it here.

It was great because it upload a file directly from within the same interface, that allowed hotlinking and without further registration or any other process.

I'm also on DO 10 and hesitating to update just because of this and, sadly, maybe it's my own ignorance, but I don't see a lot of new features in 11 compared to 10. Maybe because I just don't use them, I'm sure that you guys worked as hard as possible on it, but still it's quite an amount of money to upgrade my two licenses and lose Imgshack upload.

On a side note, one of the improvements I was looking forward too was to see the text fields standardized handling in the CTRL + ARROW / CTRL + BACKSPACE / etc. events; as I posted before, in some fields it works OK (the cursor go to the next space, dot, etc.), but in others doesn't. The same happens with the deletion: in some fields it deletes until a space is found but in others (most) it just inserts the awful square ASCII character.

The most notable fields where this is missing is on the compression dialog. Also, it gives an inconsistent feel to all the controls.

On the page I linked to: imgur.com/tools

There's a tool called Right click -> Send To -> Imgur

The link goes to this tool: imguruploader.codeplex.com/releases/view/40965

Which looks like this:

And is accessed by selecting files and using the right-click, Send To menu. (You could probably turn it into an Opus button/menu/hotkey easily enough too, if the Send To menu isn't convenient enough.)

That seems to do everything the Opus ImageShack uploader used to do, but with Imgur.

That was the first tool on the page I even tried and it appears to be perfect.

That uploader isn't bad, but is there a way to feed one of those URLs directly into the clipboard? The way it is now it's not too convenient.
I don't understand the sense of "copy upload information to the clipboard".

I think you just click the link in the UI (under the drop-down in my screenshot), although I am not sure.

If it's not 110% perfect for what you want, you can always write to the author of it. (Or someone could add it themselves as it seems to be open-source.)

[quote="leo"]I think you just click the link in the UI (under the drop-down in my screenshot), although I am not sure.
If it's not 110% perfect for what you want, you can always write to the author of it. (Or someone could add it themselves as it seems to be open-source.)[/quote]

The best way for me at the moment is to choose "Message Board List (BB Code) (Large Thumbs)" followed by clicking the "copy upload" link. Maybe i´ll email the author
to suggest that this app remembers the choice from the dropdown menu, plus automatically copies that link to the clipboard. Then it would be almost perfect. :slight_smile:

[quote="abr"][quote="leo"]I think you just click the link in the UI (under the drop-down in my screenshot), although I am not sure.
If it's not 110% perfect for what you want, you can always write to the author of it. (Or someone could add it themselves as it seems to be open-source.)[/quote]

The best way for me at the moment is to choose "Message Board List (BB Code) (Large Thumbs)" followed by clicking the "copy upload" link. Maybe i´ll email the author
to suggest that this app remembers the choice from the dropdown menu, plus automatically copies that link to the clipboard. Then it would be almost perfect. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Exactly what I was about to write... the app should save the last setting chosen to make it faster. :slight_smile: In fact, to fully automate the upload process, it should accept some command line parameters to upload while hiden and automatically copying some link to the clipboard. Then, you would just "Send to"... wait a couple of seconds and the link would be ready to paste without doing or seeing anything :slight_smile:

Although it works, it's not as pretty and well integrated as the built in DO 10 upload tool :frowning:

I am paid DO11 Pro user but for now i am downgrading to DO10 because of Imageshack integration :unamused:

What is wrong with the alternatives provided in the thread?

Did you try them?

Hello leo, nothing wrong with the ALT's presented in this thread, i haven't tried them all yet. Of course i know other FREE image hosters, i like for example abload.de. But since i got an imageshack account and am happy with it and the DO10 integration/dialogue, ... :thumbsup:

That ImgurUploader 1.0 works a treat - thanks for the pointer leo! And yes it works perfectly as a DOpus button :grin:

The imgur uploader does work fine from the right click send to menu.

Could someone who knows how to make it into a Directory Opus button help me out? How do I do that?

Edit: It turns out this modified version isn't actually needed, and you can do everything you need with the original program. See posts below.

I modified a few lines in the ImgurUploader 1.0 source code. I removed the open file dialog and made the file path of the image a command line argument.
http://pastebin.com/Di8PHhsV

I put the program in imguruploader-79962.rar\Imgur Uploader

Move the Imgur Uploader folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\

Here's the button you would use:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Imgur Uploader\ImgurUploader.exe" {allfilepath}

Issues:
Clipboard won't automatically set after uploading.
The clipboard won't separate multiple links on a new line.
imguruploader-79962.rar (160 KB)

Maybe as a button, you could invoke the imgur context menu with ContextMenu ITEMMODE ID=# where # itemnumber is shown by ContextMenu SHOWCMDS

Making ImgurUploader into a DOpus button is simple. You don't need to invoke ContextMenu ID#'s and you certainly don't need to modify the source code. It already takes an image file as a command line argument, so I don't know what jhn431 was doing. In fact it can take multiple files on the one command line. After all, that's how SendTo works.

1. Install ImgurUploaderSetup.msi

2. Create a DOpus button like this:

3. Here is the code for it:

@filesonly
@disablenosel
cd {sourcepath$}
@async:"C:\Program Files (x86)\iamhrh\Imgur Uploader\ImgurUploader.exe" {allfile$}
  1. Now you can select a bunch of JPEGs and hit the button:

2. Once the upload is complete, choose Simple List (Imgur Pages) and click copy upload information to clipboard. The links will be copied on separate lines like this:
    [ul]
    imgur.com/CGVSddz
    imgur.com/hlfAaD4
    [/ul]
    Enjoy! And please no more bashing GPSoft over this - they made the right call :grin: