Feature request: Show in groups

I've tried searching the forum but have seen no mention of this, but in truth it's one of the few things I miss about Windows Explorer. My default folder view is details, with icons arranged by type. Showing files in groups is a very useful way of making quick sense of a large number of files - but I think that DOpus can go one better than Explorer by allowing the user to choose whether or not to show the header for each group, or just a gap. I've attached a quick mock-up of how that might look.

Just one of the very few improvements I would like to see to an already mind-blowing piece of software. Keep up the good work!

Wouldn't a simple sort by Type achieve what you want?

Regards, AB

[quote="aussieboykie"]Wouldn't a simple sort by Type achieve what you want?

Regards, AB[/quote]

Yet another nice feature ist to make additional sortings by clicking on more items like date or size while pressing Ctrl.

[quote="aussieboykie"]Wouldn't a simple sort by Type achieve what you want?
[/quote]

Sorry, i may not have been clear- I AM sorting by type, i'm saying that i'd also like to be able to arrange the items into groups, like explorer can. it was a feature that i used quite alot, and i miss it.

[quote="kyokan"][quote="aussieboykie"]Wouldn't a simple sort by Type achieve what you want?
[/quote]

Sorry, i may not have been clear- I AM sorting by type, i'm saying that i'd also like to be able to arrange the items into groups, like explorer can. it was a feature that i used quite alot, and i miss it.[/quote]

So the main difference is, that there is an extra space in Explorer between the types. Maybe this is a bit against Dopus´ philosophy of how listers are designed, since it would change the structure of how they´re built by clicking on the "sort by types" field, & only there

Would some thicker or colored line between the groups satisfy you as well? For me it´s ok the way it is now.

[quote]So the main difference is, that there is an extra space in Explorer between the types. Maybe this is a bit against Dopus´ philosophy of how listers are designed, since it would change the structure of how they´re built by clicking on the "sort by types" field, & only there

Would some thicker or colored line between the groups satisfy you as well? For me it´s ok the way it is now.[/quote]

The simple gap between groups was something of my own creation, as an extra option. What I'm really after is the way Explorer does it in XP, see the attatched screenshot! The function of showing in groups is completely seperate from the process of sorting. You click on say, 'Type' to sort by type, and then if you want you can also click 'Show in groups' to get the above effect. It's a complete extra - no fundamental change to any existing feature.

I agree a very useful capability. I also miss it from Windows Explorer and would like to be able to do the same in Opus.

I agree. This view is very handy on some occassions.

I really need this feature too. I searching for a "commander-like" file manager with this "show in groups" feature but i did not found one, and because of this i using yet always the xp's built-in explorer. :frowning:
The best would be a "nested groups" option, where inside a group can be an other group, so you can for example sort and group like this:

First by date and after file type:

Today
===================
	Folders
	-------------------------------------
	Folder1
	Folder2
	Folder3

Music
	music1.mp3
	music2.mp3

Applications
	start.exe
	blabla.exe

Yesterday
===================
	Folders
	Folder1

Music
	music4.mp3
	music5.mp3

3 days ago
===================

Video
	vidwo.avi
	video.wmv

Music
	music6.mp3
	music7.mp3

That would be a "killer" feature for me specially for frequently updated folder like "My Downloads".

But i would be afraid with the simple explorer-like grouping in Directory Opus, and i don't use anymore the explorer.[/code]

I really don't know if it would be difficult to implement (i'm not a programmer). But I would also like to see this feature. Of course you can sort by type, but visually,
the 'Show files in groups' options is better. There's another post about this, but I couldn't find it any more.

I sent a feature request to GPSoftware

I'm debating whether to register Directory Opus. I think I will -- it would enable me to get rid of half a dozen other little utilities such as FTP, directory synchronizers and mass renamers.

However, let me add my name to the list of people wanting the Show in Groups feature of Explorer, displaying headings between each group. It enables me to find things by eye so much more quickly!

Also -- forgive me if this seems presumptuous -- but I think Directory Opus would be best served if it could claim to do everything that Explorer does and more.

Dr. Greg Perry from GPSoftware wrote to me:

[quote]We are aware of this concept and we are considering adding some new view options such as this in the next version.

Regards, Dr Greg Perry
[/quote]:wink:

[quote="Christiaan"]Dr. Greg Perry from GPSoftware wrote to me:

[quote]We are aware of this concept and we are considering adding some new view options such as this in the next version.

Regards, Dr Greg Perry
[/quote]:wink:[/quote]

When can we expect to see these new options? I would really appreciate them.

BBV

Where is this feature's settings? If i'm looking at items in a system folder, such as MY COMPUTER, the grouping option is available--but this is not the case in regular folders! WTF?

This is quite upsetting, actually, because I've just spend many hours customizing Dopus on the assumption that this feature existed (as it is one of the mandatory things i was searching for and never, EVER, would have wasted my time with dopus if i had known it was not an option...but i was mislead by the fact that it technically does work in the system folders, which was all i saw before going on my happy, ignorant customization spree...only to find out much later that the feature doesn't seem to be accessible system wide.

Please tell me there is a way to access this. Many other people have been requesting this (besides this thread i found at least two others where this has been addressed) and from the looks of it requests for this feature have been made prior to dopus 9...so if there isn't a way to do this i'm going to be ticked.

The feature doesn't exist. That's why people are asking for it.

As for when it will be added, we don't know. This is a user-run forum so we can't answer questions about when GPSoft will add features, unless they've told us.

You could try asking GPSoft but they usually won't comment on when features will be added because people get very disappointed if they promise something and then the plan changes later on.

As far as I can tell, grouping isn't currently supported anywhere in Opus, not even in system folders.

[quote="leo"]
As far as I can tell, grouping isn't currently supported anywhere in Opus, not even in system folders.[/quote]

My Computer, Network Places and Entire Network have this feature; Desktop shows it, but it is grayed out and not accessible.

If you notice, right clicking in these folders actually provides a distinctly different option window that the one used by regular folders.

Clearly this option exists (technically) in dopus...and my gut tells me there must be a way to get it to work for other folders...but i'm not a hacker, so i lack the sort of technical wherewithal to crack this nut.

Any genius's out there have a clue?

sorry for double posting, but i didn't see an option for editing my previous post.

Just wanted to add that the Control panel and Recycle bin are also able to be organized by groups; also, the location for my mobile device has the feature, but is grayed out just like the Desktop was.

Good god, how many posts on this subject are you going to make. Opus does not currently support grouping. Special folders, such as you mention, are displayed within Opus by explorer and hence have explorer's functionality.

For the last time, stop replying to threads asking where this feature is.

Hi. Not sure why you're responding with an attitude.

While it's true that i did post three initial requests for info in three different threads, all three of those threads existed before i got here and each of them touched on this issue from three different angles...unique angles that i then approached the issue from within those threads.

In this thread, Leo stated that the feature was not available, then proceeded to add that grouping--so far as he/she knew--was not available for even the system folders.

Now, Steve, while I am willing to accept the answer you've just now given--

--this is the first time such information has been presented to me, let alone this forum, by the looks of it...

...and I have to seriously question whether that info would have even come up had i not shared my discoveries, which--on the surface--appeared to challenge Leo's assertion that not even System folders would accept grouping in Dopus.

I've been digging into the system to see what makes it tick, and i found detailed information that had previously not been shared in this forum, so i shared it. Perhaps there is no hope for me to find a solution to this problem, but please don't fault me for trying to find one.

Now, that having been said, is it possible to get an explanation (or a link to an explanation) on how it is that the system folders are being displayed via explorer, even though they appear through the Dopus interface like everything else? I realize there may not be a straight forward explanation for this, but if i don't ask, then i'll never know.