Feature Requests: Confirm Replacement Dialog

I've got a few requests that I know would be extremely useful to me, and I think would be very useful to others as well. (Maybe they don't even realize how much yet, until they use them :stuck_out_tongue: )

Screenshot mock-up

1). When hovering over the file name with the cursor, show a tool tip with the full path to the file. Currently, it just shows the file name itself, and when copying over an entire tree structure, with tons of files (i.e. extracting a zip file to an existing folder) you can't always easily tell which sub folder the file belongs to.

2). Add a "Skip All Identical" menu item. Again, using the same unzipping scenario, there can be hundreds of identical files, with only a handful of non-identical files (i.e. all language files will be identical, but the .exe/.dll's are new, non-identical). From my experience, clicking the "Skip Identical" item only compares that particular file for being identical, so this leads to potentially hundreds of clicks on "Skip Identical". Having a "Skip All Identical" will save tons of clicks, by automatically comparing ALL identical files after the first click on it, and skip identicals, while copying over non-identicals.

3). A "Compare" button. When clicked it'll basically do a "Diff", or "Compare" of the 2 items (when non-identical), popping up (or extending) a dialog showing any differences. Like if you were to compare the 2 files in something like Beyond Compare. This is probably most useful for text based files, like .ini's, etc., but ya never know where else it'll find itself useful. Maybe even add it as an optional setting, where the user can enter their preferred Compare tool, with whatever parameters the tool needs to load the files into it for comparing, then only show the button on the dialog if that option has been chosen in settings; hidden if not.

4). Matching the dialog's colors with the rest of the chosen color scheme. :wink:

1. (Update: Opus 12.6.3 added the locations to the Replace dialog.)

2. Skip Identical already skips all other identical files. (There wouldn't be any point to it otherwise, since Skip skips the current file, and Skip Identical shouldn't be offered for a non-identical file.) If you get additional prompts for identical files it could be due to them being Read Only which can trigger an extra overwrite confirmation (if configured to).

3. The dialog should match your system theme/colors, the same as other dialogs in Opus (and most other software)?

2). Hmmmmmm, weird. That's what I originally had assumed Skip Identical did, but I've had this happen a lot of times before, so I was under the impression I posed above. afaik, the files I've been replacing, including the ones I did just before I posted, weren't R/O. I just tried a couple of tests though, and Skip Identical worked as I originally thought it should. I'll have to take a closer look at it the next time it happens.

4). But this is a Dopus created dialog, isn't it? If it were a standard Windows dialog, I could see it using the System scheme, but for any Dopus created dialogs/context menu's, I'd think they should all match the Dopus theme. Even right-clicking an open space in a lister gives a Dopus themed context menu. Am I incorrect in thinking this dialog is Dopus created, as opposed to a generic Win System dialog that Dopus is just calling?

1. Opus has color and font settings for various lister elements but all of its dialogs use whatever the system-wide theme is.

Ok, just so I'm clear on the Confirmation dialog though; that is being created by Dopus, right? If so, why not allow users to customize it's color scheme?

I like the "full path" viewing option, maybe make the names clickable as well, so you can visit that specific item directly and see all of it's attributes and fields.

I like the compare idea! There could be a checkbox in the prefs to enable that feature and a textfield for a custom command to handle that case. One could enter and run an external tool directly or use one of the already available compare-addins.

+1 to the compare idea. would also be useful to be able to compare hashes via the compare button in addition to the functionality GeekDrop described.

Hash compare does sound interesting as well. I'm just wondering if/how much calculating hashes per file would slow things down?

If you have to read both files in order to decide whether or not to replace it I suspect you might as well just replace it.

I like the hover for full path idea alot - and would also welcome a configurable 'Compare' button in the dialog.

@Jon, depends on whats being copied... there are often times when I'm syncing folder structures from different dshares or devices where I actually need to MERGE the contents of two copies of something... so it's not a clear cut replace or don't replace proposition - even though many other files in between the two devices are more cut and dried (yes, replace).

I don't object to the hashcompare thing - BUT what would you decide to do based on:

a.) the hashes are identical?
b.) the hashes are different?

I would also really appreciate (and have lobbied for in the past) for the file Name field of BOTH the Existing and New files be editable like how the New file Name field currently is... this would let us dynamically rename the existing file to some other preferred name than the auto-generated name given when you select the 'Rename Old' or 'Rename Old (All)' actions...

Another option I've toyed with would be to ZIP/ARCHIVE either the existing or new file (usually existing if I know I'm copying from a newer folder tree to an older folder tree)... only because for some file conflicts I've found a need to keep a compressed copy of old versions of files - which I then move to an archive folder for historical reference after smashing the directories together.

this feature would be optional, ideally with an option to set the maximum filesize allowed to use the hash compare function. also for smaller files(< 1 MB) like that in your example, the calculation time wouldn't be much of an issue on a modern computer.
as an experiment to check out how fast hash calculation is in DOpus, enable the "MD5 Checksum" column in your lister and browse to a folder with many little files.

[quote="steje"]I don't object to the hashcompare thing - BUT what would you decide to do based on:

a.) the hashes are identical?
b.) the hashes are different?[/quote]

hash compare in my case would be about peace of mind. if the file hashes were identical it would be easy to overwrite the files without any doubt. should the hashes be different, then the other attributes would take prominence and the newer file would be likely to stay.

Just completed a thought that started after THIS thread while replying to another thread posted by Sasa in a related area of Opus...

Thoughts?