File Collections and Flat View

I've discovered that I can't use Flat View in File Collections. But I'd like to.

I've already created a command to delete my system and user temporary files and my user Recent items. Now I'd like to add those locations to a File Collection as sub-collections (done) and have them displayed in Flat View. Apparently Flat View in File Collections is not available in DOpus at this time.

Is this an existing Feature Request?

Is the idea feasible or practical?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Flat View is disabled within file collections, at least right now.

One way to do it is using junctions, as described in this thread:
[ul][li]Treating multiple drives as 1 folder - Use File Collections?[/li][/ul]

[quote="leo"]Flat View is disabled within file collections, at least right now.

One way to do it is using junctions, as described in this thread:
[ul][li]Treating multiple drives as 1 folder - Use File Collections?[/li][/ul][/quote]
Thanks, leo. I used to use a nice little junction-handling utility called LinkFolder in XP 32-bit, but I haven't tried to use it in Vista 64-bit. For now, I'd like to keep this all in DOpus.

2 things I've discovered:

1. Collections don't have "live" update - apparently they only store the info at the time the files/folders were added.

2. I get what I need in a useful Flat View if I use a custom Find template with a filter.

Is there an easy way to save a custom Find template? I think I can save a set of Filters that essentially do all the things in the Simple tab of the Find dialog, and then make that into a custom command or button. But can I force that custom command to load the Find results in a particular collection?

I'm off to search the FAQ and the rest of the forum, but if anyone feels like posting the solution in the meantime, I won't say no. :slight_smile: (I'd probably even say "Thank you".)

Here's my custom button to show me the contents of my temp and recent folders and have the collection displayed in a new tab in the current lister:

Find IN "C:\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp" "C:\<me>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" "C:\Windows\Temp" FILTER NAME NoMatchDesktop COLLNAME AllTemp&Recent QUIET SHOWRESULTS=lister,tab
Initially, I would have preferred just being able to save the current Find dialog as a template by clicking on a "Save Find A..." button. But I probably would have ended up with this button sooner or later because it does exactly what I want instead of almost exactly what I want.

I may curse DOpus from time-to-time for making me do all this stuff by hand, but I almost always end up with a better tool than if I relied on the GPS developers to guess what I want and code it into the program. :slight_smile:

-Jeff

Nice. You can make it generic by using %appdata% and .

Find IN "%appdata%\Local Settings\Temp" "C:\Windows\Temp" NAME *.* COLLNAME AllTemp QUIET SHOWRESULTS=lister,tab

Regards, AB

[quote="aussieboykie"]Nice. You can make it generic by using %appdata% and .

Find IN "%appdata%\Local Settings\Temp" "C:\Windows\Temp" NAME *.* COLLNAME AllTemp QUIET SHOWRESULTS=lister,tab

Regards, AB[/quote]
Thanks, AB. I like the generic mod. :slight_smile:

I don't really want to see desktop.ini in the Recent folder, so I set a filter (NoMatchDesktop) that specifically excludes that file.

-Jeff

[quote="aussieboykie"]Nice. You can make it generic by using %appdata% and .

Regards, AB[/quote]
I got unexpected results initially with that code, so I did some research and tinkering. On Vista, the necessary variables are:
%localappdata%
%appdata%

So the generic form reads (with no FILTER argument):

Find IN "%localappdata%\Temp" "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" "C:\Windows\Temp" NAME *.* COLLNAME AllTemp&Recent QUIET SHOWRESULTS=lister,tab

-Jeff

Actually, even more generic would be replacing "C:\Windows\Temp" with "%Windir%\Temp". :slight_smile:

-Jeff