File transfers/moves/etc

A feature I'd LOVE to see in Directory Opus is what Windows commander has.

When I'm moving/copying/etc files - it'd be great if the dialog box that comes up would let me pause the transfer.

another feature I would love is one that windows commander has again - the ability to have file transfers 'que' so that as I'm going around and dragging files from one place to another, instead of instantly starting a direct transfer, I can que them up to transfer.

This helps hugely when you want to browse a drive and move multiple files and folders to another drive - several simultaneous transfers to and from the same drive is bad for performance and also fragmentation - lining them all up to get done one after the other is far better!

There is already a Pause button but only when the "full" progress dialog is used. Go to Preferences - File Operations - Progress Indicators and turn on Show progress bar speed timer when copying from or to: and select the types of things you want to use the full progress dialog for, or just pick Any location.

This has been requested on the forums lots of times. GPSoftware seem to want to do it but have said it will require a lot of internal changes and other things have taken priority up to this point.

In the mean time you can integrate a tool like TeraCopy into Opus to get a copy queue if you need one badly. Fellow member Oblias has created Opus buttons for doing this:

[Copy & Move with TeraCopy)

Just installed it - the copy estimate for a 4.36Gb file just went from 12mins to 4.45 mins so EXCELLENT recommendation! :slight_smile:

Any way to set it so that it is used as the default for all copying and moving in Dopus?

You can change the drag & drop actions via Settings -> File Types -> All Files & Folders, and the toolbar buttons can be edited via Customize in the usual way.

[quote="nudel"]You can change the drag & drop actions via Settings -> File Types -> All Files & Folders...[/quote]Hello Leo...

I just finished posting in 'Buttons & Toolbars' saying that I'd like it if I could invoke TeraCopy using drag'n'drop, when I came across your post above.

When you get a chance, would you mind expanding on this suggestion? I have looked where you have pointed, but am unsure what to change and what change to make.

Thanks.

You can set any command you want to run on drag & drop via the Events tab when editing the file type.

I'm not familiar enough with TeraCopy to be able to tell you exactly what to do to set it up on the drag & drop events though, sorry.

Hello everyone. I've been away from things a bit, so I've just now read this thread. Here is what you can do to make TeraCopy kick in when you do a Drag-and-Drop.

Like nudel says, go to Settings/Filetypes/All Files and Folders. Edit that, and make sure the Events tab is active. Double-click the first entry which is Drag-and-Drop.

When the Edit box pops up, replace [copy movewhensame] with
[C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe Copy {allfilepath$|filem} {destpath}] , then click OK to save the change. Of course, do NOT use the [ ]s , just the text only.

Now, just click on OK, then close to get back to Opus proper. So, from now on, when you drag and drop a file, TeraCopy will kick in, and do the work for you. The only thing is, that it will NOT do a move using this method. It will only do a copy, no matter what drive you are dropping the file on.

If you want to be able to do a move, then you will have to do more editing. Go back again to to Settings/Filetypes/All Files and Folders. Edit that, and make sure the Events tab is active. This time, double-click on the Drag-and-Drop + Shift entry. The command to be entered this time is
[C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe Move {allfilepath$|filem} {destpath}] , again without the brackets [ ] . Save everything as before, and now when you do a Shift + Drag-and-Drop, TeraCopy will do a move, no matter what drive you drop the file on.

OK, that should cover it, but if I've made a mistake, just let me know, and I'll see where I went wrong, but it should work. It works for me, using Opus 9.1 .

Excellent info Oblias!

I've edited your first post in the TeraCopy thread in the buttons forum to consolidate all the information together into (I hope!) any easy summary. Hope you don't mind me editing the post; just thought it'd save people from piecing together the info from different parts of the thread.

BTW, while I did the edit I added quotes around the TeraCopy.exe command path, just in case. (e.g. If something creates a folder called C:\Program then the unquoted path will go wrong.)

i just tried this program, and i like it a lot! only thing is, i don't know how to access the list of performed operations in order to undo a copy or move. is there one?

Quick qu Nudel - u seem to be an admin here so I presume you're something to do with the app.

Is there any way to make DO9 execute that command but with the word move or copy decided by whether its a different drive or not? (so it acts like the built in move and copy)

Thanks

That's not so much a question for Nudel or someone from GPSoft actually... because at the moment, no... Opus couldn't control that. Right now this is handled by the 'movewhensame' argument to Opus 'built-in' copy command. So it would have to be possible to control that sort of behaviour with a TeraCopy option.

That said... what you're asking would need to be a feature request to GPSoft. With other things taking priority in Opus development land given the depth of change required to do some of what TeraCopy does natively from Opus... I wonder how hard it would be for GPSoft to add some 'other' way to control it from Opus...

For instance, maybe they could add some additional qualifying command that would let us conditionally run a different external command (TeraCopy 'copy' vs. teraCopy 'move') depending on detecting drag-n-drop to same drive or not. We would need some generic qualifier type things, like maybe a 'modifier' along the lines of:

@whendroptosame
"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Copy {allfilepath$|filem} {destpath}
@whendroptodiff
"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Move {allfilepath$|filem} {destpath}

...or some other such nonsense.

Just the same, seeing as how TeraCopy is one of those cool 'swiss army knife' type super-copy utilities it might also be worthwhile to ask the ppl who develop it to have their OWN 'movewhensame' type logic if they do not already have such a thing... They are in 'beta' on their new version after all, and you would think logic along these lines belongs in an uber-copy proggy.

[quote="nudel"]Excellent info Oblias!

I've edited your first post in the TeraCopy thread in the buttons forum to consolidate all the information together into (I hope!) any easy summary. Hope you don't mind me editing the post; just thought it'd save people from piecing together the info from different parts of the thread.

BTW, while I did the edit I added quotes around the TeraCopy.exe command path, just in case. (e.g. If something creates a folder called C:\Program then the unquoted path will go wrong.)[/quote]

Thanks for the editing, nudel. I agree that it will make things easier all the way around.