Filter by Column : Powerful filtering/searching tool for all columns

Update v1.2.1 :

• Now is possible to define custom names to refer an specific column when in explicit mode, using custom_columns_names in Script configuration.
  • Added a new flag: Filter even if not visible; allows to filter based on a column previously declared in custom_columns_names or in user_defined_implicit_column, even if it is not visible in the current file display.
  • Added labels_access in Script configuration, which allows to choose if the filtering by labels should include all or only those visible in the Label Column. (Please note that use_filters_for_builtin set to true, override this option).
  • Minor corrections.

Also, I've updated the main post with a explanation for the last additions.

2 Likes

using script for modified date from here
i've got a wrong filtering by year (sort by current column, $<2023) - the today's files showing in this case (or even <2010 wil lalso show it). is it an issue of that script?

issue

I don't know, I don't have access to that script.
But if you want, you can send me via private message a screenshot of your script config, and I'll take a look.

I've found the correct link, and as this eval column returns text for today or yesterday; its value is interpreted as 1/1/1601, so it will not work correctly for date comparison purposes (not just here, but anywhere).

In the past week, I've seen the enormous potential that textual filters with Evaluator have, and since this command already has a base implemented for it, with an easy-to-use syntax that's easy to expand, I've added a new flag in this latest beta (v.1.3.0) : Search Mode.

When enabled, the following happens:

• Instead of filtering, a search is performed using the same textual filter.
  • Results open in a new tab at the destination.
  • The search is recursive.
  • The same column referencing method as before is applied: implicit or explicit.
  • Much more useful if Filter even if no visible is also in use.

Remember that some values allow using ranges. For example, if I want to search for all files in the current folder within 2020-2024, using a Evaluator/Script column that displays dates, previously registered as "mycol", after enabling the flag, now I can simply type :
$mycol=2020..2024

To better understand the syntax, you can read the main post.
Hope the addition proves to be useful.

2 Likes

v1.3.0 Beta 3 :

• $$ works as a toggle between filtering and searching.
  • Added range search for dates with the format:
    • dd-MM-yyyy or yyyy-MM-dd
    • dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm or yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm
    • dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss or yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
  • Search Mode has several options for configuration (collection name, use subcollections, add column).
  • Improved logic when searching by date ranges.
  • Improved parsing of custom categories and custom names.
  • Improved dialog for configuring flags. Now keyboard accelerators can be used.
  • Improved suggestions when typing. Now all the custom names are included as suggestions.

For the 5 people who are using this, please note that if there are no bugs in this version, it will become the final release.

3 Likes

v1.3.1 is available to download in the main post!
Includes all the additions from the latest betas, plus fixes for 2 reported issues for which I have found a workaround. If you use the command regularly, it's highly recommended to update to this version.

• Improvement in the flags configuration dialog (no more minimized listers/other windows).
  • Improved command history. You can now get suggestions for both filter and search mode, even if you use this filter as the default.

When I have more time, I'll update the main post with some examples of use.

1 Like

Sorry, i have no idea where to start. Way too much technical text for me, sorry, don't know which part is relevant for my very humble task. All i want is to filter in my Description column. See my screenshot. I have put "Desc":"Description" into the config window, but all items are getting hidden. Is that the right spot, anyway, and is "Description" the right column name? I'm not sure, i have all names here in german and couldn't look up the correct name, it might be Description or Desc or Userdesc, i don't know.

There are two columns: Description and User Description. Which of the two do you want to use?
In custom_column_names :
For Description : "Desc":"desc"
For User Description : "Desc":"userdesc"
(Note that custom names are case sensitive)
That's all!

If you want to use in Search Mode, append your text with $$. Or enable Search Mode in the flags. (You can easy config the flags by typing $?)
e.g. $$Desc=some description

Also, to know the name for the column you want to use, first add the column to the file display, and type $$ (nothing more). In the Script Panel, a list of all columns with their respective names and headers will appear.

1 Like

No luck so far. I'm using SetAttr Description to set my tags. I have tried something like 'rothenburgsort$" as the search term, no results. And enabling Search Mode in the flags, i have set flags_quickkey to $, is that right?

Now i'm not sure, if it still is 'desc', or 'Description', like in my SetAttr command. But either way, i don't have it right yet. Thanks for the fast support. Maybe we're getting closer.

E/ and yes, i'm sorting by the description column prior to use the search, which is required, iirc.

In custom_column_names : "Desc":"userdesc"

Then in the FAYT bar, just type : $$Desc=rothenburgsort

No need to messed up other values. You can Reset that value, because $ is not a valid one.
(PS: If you still have troubles using this, you can send me a message, since I can't because your profile is hidden)

I couldn't use $, since it is already in use. I have changed it to #. But would i need to push really $$ (twice).

Another hint, what could be going wrong:

These messages indicate that you made a mistake when copying and pasting this

If you set to #, then use ## instead. $$ was just an example, in case you was using the default quick key.

I have sent you a message to help you further.

Thank you for this filter.
While the details that you have given could be considered technical, they did at first make me hesitate to instal and explore your filter.
However, after persisting and using some of your detailed examples, I found your filter "opened up" another avenue to filter even more from my various files.
For example, using the file description column for video files, and then using your filter on that column, gave me acces to the various resolutions of those files, which was quite helpful.
Thanks again, and I will need to further "explore" the full potential of your filter.

1 Like

v1.3.2 (Feb 24, 2024) :

• Now, the column doesn't need to be visible when filtering/searching and not using a position-based column reference(e.g. C1, etc.)(there's no longer Filter even if no visible flag).

I've updated the main post with an FAQ entry, explaining how to register names, categories, get the internal name of the column, among other things.

Additionally, there's a section of examples to facilitate understanding when using the script.

2 Likes

Hello. is there a way to use a Go quick key / when Filter by Column is set to default?

Since "Go" doesn't support editing the quick key, you can use the one for Find and then press "/".

v1.3.3 (Mar 03, 2024) :

• Updated to work with the changes introduced in 13.3.2 (mostly affects when the script is the default filter).
  • Added a new log level, Standard

Please note that due to the changes introduced in v13.3.2, when changing the default FAYT script and/or the quick key of this script, and this is/was the default script, those changes will take about 5-10 seconds to be recognized by the script, because they must be first written and read from the configuration file itself. So in that time the script might interpret the input incorrectly.

v1.4.0 (Mar 06, 2024) :

• Now you can use FilterbyColumn as a command too. Valid args are FILTER, REGEXP, NODIACRITICS, WHOLEWORDS, CASE, and QUERY. (A better explanation in first post will come later).
  • Now you can use column's keyword to refer a specific column, without previous name registration.

Note: Due to the name change (removing spaces) for use as a command, it may be necessary to reconfigure the flag searches and/or the default FAYT filter.

2 Likes

v1.4.1 (Mar 10, 2024) :

In all cases where Evaluator is used:

• Fixed incomplete results if in some cases you searched only by date without time.
  • DOpus standard pattern matching can now be used properly (if regular expressions are not enabled).
  • Also, now there is a new flag, to escape wildcard characters when you don't want to use it (if not enabled and regular expressions is disabled, it escapes characters for regular expressions).

FAYT mode:

• Improved detection when displaying suggestions (hopefully this is fixed for good).

Command mode:

• Added new argument : ESCWILD, to escape characters that can be interpreted as wildcards (applicable for cases where Evaluator is used).

Also, I have updated the main post to add explanations when using as a command.

1 Like

I'm exploring - finally - another wonderful script of yours.

For some reason unknown to me, this does not open the script log.

• Now type in the FAYT bar: $$ and press Return.
  • The Script Log will open if not visible.

I did redefine "$" to "," but everything works using this key except getting the actual column name. Any ideas? TIA