Find a Tag via a Button

@auden - Screen resolution solved one issue. I tagged a photo with the word "test" and made sure I could see it in the metadata. When I searched using your script, it only found a file in the same lister tab with the name containing "test." It did not find the photo with the tag "test."

When you say you tagged the file "test". Which field did you put it in. Did you put it in the Opus field called tags.

Try putting a fairly obscure word in the tags field - say "cauliflower"

If you search for a tag called "test" and there happens to be a file called "test", I would expect to find both.

If you simply wanted to search the "tags" field in the metadata, I suspect you might need an entirely different script. But that rather reduces the usefulness of the idea. I often want to find images taken by the photographer "John Smith" where the subject is say "Suffolk". It works fine for me. If the metadata contains "John Smith" AND "Suffolk" it is a hit. In fact all the script does is run an Opus Find Query.

Was the file the script found called "test" the same file that had the tag "test"

I placed an image in my downloads folder named checker.png with the tag "cauliflower." I used your script in that folder to find "cauliflower."

It did not find anything:

I am sorry I did not realise you were dealing with png files. Please try the same with a jpg, psd or tif file. From my understanding of png files they only support a limit number of metadata fields. The attached zip is a PDF file of an extract from the png metadata spec, and you will see no mention of tag support.

png spec.zip (2.7 KB)

@auden - I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

The png file was simply an example. We deal with all types of files and folders; some of us try to leverage tagging files and folders to better organize various things. Perhaps a folder, a Word document, a PDF and a txt file in different directories are all related to a particular project or reusable for other projects. Tagging is a great way to flag those as similar items.

DOpus provides a means to tag files and folders of all types, but seems to offer few means to automate a tag search for those same tagged files.

Maybe @Leo, @Jon, @wowbagger, @kundal or some other member better versed in DOpus and scripting than us could weigh in as well...

I dont use tags, so would need to investigate (I also didn't read the whole thread, could you summarize the request?).
I see that the advanced search does support tags, does this not do what you need?
Otherwise you can search against as script column, which should make it possible regardless of where you tag is stored.

@wowbagger - thanks for responding. In short, I would like to automate a search for tag(s) by name using a popup dialog and {dlgstring}. Advanced search doesn't seem to allow {dlgstring} input, nor do I know of a way to pass a variable to the advanced search panel.

I have been dealing with image metadata in a professional capacity for 20 years. It is a complete nightmare. No two programs seem to deal with the metadata fields in the same way. Practical experience tells me it is a real dog's breakfast. Jon and the good people at Opus have improved the situation immensely over the last few months and nowadays Opus seems to have the photographic metadata side covered very well - at least with integration with Photoshop. (Which in the professional photographic world is what you really need) It is pretty darn good with music metadata, too.

I only developed my little program because when, like me, you make hundreds of metadata searches a day, the advanced search panel is way too slow. I know you can store searches, but I would need hundreds of stored queries to meet my needs.

Have you tried the program with Word of JPG files? It works with my Word files on my rig.

Good luck with your endeavours, I know from biter experience how frustrating metadata can be. It really is a case of whatever gets you through the night.