Find-Delete files - set folder preference

Up front: below question might have been asked before, vainly searched for it.

find delete duplicate files whilst specifying folder from/in which the files should be deleted.

following scenario
-one working folder
-two backup folders
-the backup folders have a different structure.. (so, cannot use synchronize, i guess)

run duplicate files find

now, in the results panel I only want the files from the backup-folders tagged for deletion.

maybe there is an easy trick to do this..??
if not, it may be an option to implement this option.

thanks

So you have folders W, B1, B2 and you want to delete any files in B1 or B2 which are also in W?

What about files which are in both B1 and B2 but not W? Delete or keep?

What about two duplicates within W? Keep, presumably?

Depending on exactly what you want, you may be able to use a command which selects/deselects files in the duplicates results based on location.

You can also control which folder's files are kept by the automatic selection by changing the sort order. For a group of duplicates, all but the first will be selected for deletion when you click the Select button in the Duplicate Finder. Changing the sort order changes which items are first. But that's no good if you want to avoid deleting items that are in B1 and B2 but not W.

You may also be able to use the "Find duplicates of..." list at the bottom of the Duplicate Finder. If you drop everything from W (via Flat View (No Folders)) into the list then it should search B1 & B2 for dupes of those files. I've never tried it with a huge number of files in that list so I don't know if it's a good idea or not but it's worth a go.

That's right :wink:

Keep, I want to move them to W, so basicaly the backups are empty in the end. Either the files are deleted, or moved the W.

Likely delete but which one I will decide a bit more on a cases by cases basis. Duplicates are often stored in specific folders and when it wud be possible to select a folder, then deleting dups will be more quicker.

Under RMB-Columns/Display option I might untag group duplicates and then sort on foldername.
But there is one drawback.
If there are -what- 300 files in B1 and B2 and 150 in W, you need to deselect the 150 one by one from W.,
i.e. I have not found to ctrl-select the files in W and then déselect them, so only dups in B1/B2 are left...

Am not sure ... we are talking about really many files...

==

[quote]Under RMB-Columns/Display option I might untag group duplicates and then sort on foldername.
If there are -what- 300 files in B1 and B2 and 150 in W, you need to deselect the 150 one by one from W.,
i.e. I have not found to ctrl-select the files in W and then déselect them, so only dups in B1/B2 are left...[/quote]

Can't you un-group, then sort by location and then shift-select everything that isn't in W?

Or, if it's easier (e.g. W is between B1 and B2), shift-select everything in W and then use Edit -> Invert Selection.

(Alternatively, but more fiddly, if W is between B1 and B2 then you can shift-select everything in B1 normally, then ctrl-select the first B2 file, then ctrl-shift-select the last B2 file. Much easier to select W and invert, though.)

You can also use Edit -> Select -> Advanced to (de)select based on location or, if it's always the same paths, make a one-click button which does the same using a saved filter.

[quote="leo"][quote]Under RMB-Columns/Display option I might untag group duplicates and then sort on foldername.
i.e. I have not found to ctrl-select the files in W and then déselect them, so only dups in B1/B2 are left...[/quote]

Can't you un-group, then sort by location and then shift-select everything that isn't in W?

Or, if it's easier (e.g. W is between B1 and B2), shift-select everything in W and then use Edit -> Invert Selection. [/quote]

I am afraid (de)selecting is not possible there, at least I have not found a simple trick how to do it...

Give it a try ... :wink:

=

It worked fine for me a moment ago. Try turning off Delete Mode in the Duplicate Finder.

Yes! This brings me a lot further indeed, many thanks for the tip!
That having said, I still think it may serve its purposes to have such feature (folder selected) implemented.

Once again, many thanks!!
Have been able to clean up quite a lot now .. :smiley:

brgds