Find Duplicate Files Broken?

Sometimes the find duplicate files works and sometimes not.
I did a test by creating a new subfolder and copied a existing file into it. So I know a duplicate must be found.
When it does not work I get a blank collection right away and if I click find again I get the attached screen.
I use windows 7 and Dopus 11. Is there somebody else having the same issue ?
It was working fine in Dopus 10.

Yes this happens when you have an illegal version of dopus. LOL just kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

I've had this a couple of times now. Not sure whats going on, but restarting dopus helps.

I think I found a way to reproduce the "yes" issue.

Im not sure what triggers it normally but this is how I get it consistenly.
Here is the example. On these files I managed to reproduce it

[ol]
[li]This is the directory structure. The 1 file is in 4 folders deep.[/li]
[li]The 2 files are not identical but the size varies a couple of kB[/li]
[li]Now open duplicate files Tools>Find duplicate files[/li]
[li]Click find once...Dupe files collections open.. no match[/li]
[li]Click Back button and hit Find again. But this time click like really fast like 10 times.[/li][/ol]
And result

Once this yes anomaly happens then the duplicates finder doesn't work properly. You can try this by duplicating a file in the folder where it happened and then do a dupe search again. And it doesn't find anything.

Conditions:

• If I rename parent folder vlc 2.0.6 to say vlca 2.0.6 it doesn't work
  • If the vlc 2.0.6 folder is 3 deep instead of 4 deep it doesn't work.
  • if the dupe file collection is already open it doesn't work

Tested on a standard config(no default settings changed). If somebody wants to try and reproduce the issue here is the zipped example. Make sure you have the same folderstructure as in the image.
Here is the link www19.zippyshare.com/v/59989597/file.html

Anybody tried to replicate this bug yet?

Is anybody looking at this. To me this is like a serious bug. The Dupe finder's resulsts cannot be trusted when this occurs.

PS: With the above mentioned steps I replicated this bug on another computer (fresh opus trial install). Exact same conditions were true on that computer too.

It's in our queue to look at, not confirmed yet.

We don't generally reply just to say we have nothing to say yet.

Every thread gets read, don't worry.

Ok, thanks. I thought the problem was religously ignored :slight_smile:

PS: The bug sometimes occur after clicking find then go back then button smash 10 times then go back and button smash 10 times again etc. (repeatedly). Not that the find button is intended to button mash on, LOL, but it helps to replicate the bug.

Hello,

The inability to search for duplicate files is still occurring for me using Directory Opus 11.8 (64 bit). I am experiencing the same dialog box appearing as mentioned in the first post in this thread. This issue has been occurring since 11.5. In version 11.4 duplicate file searching worked as expected.

Steps to Reproduce:
Search for duplicates within any subfolder of the root directory of a hard drive. The dialog box previously mentioned appears and no results are found.

The only workaround I have found is to search the entire drive for duplicates (rather than a single folder). A correct list of duplicates is then returned (but is obviously far longer than should be necessary).

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit (all Windows Updates are installed.) My security software is Norton Internet Security 21.6.0.32 (2014 version). If you require any further information, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

I was able to reproduce this problem several months ago, but found shortly afterwards that I no longer could, which is still the case now. We had assumed the problem had been fixed by other changes/fixes, since it was once easy for us to reproduce but now seems impossible.

[quote]Steps to Reproduce:
Search for duplicates within any subfolder of the root directory of a hard drive. The dialog box previously mentioned appears and no results are found.[/quote]
Here is a video I recorded today showing what I've tried along those lines:

If you can think of anything different for us to try, please let us know and we will see if it lets us reproduce the problem again.

Hello Leo,

Many thanks for your very fast response :slight_smile:

Using the technique that you demoed in your video (namely navigate to the folder you wish to search and choose Tools->Find Duplicate Files) from time 00:00 to 00:18 I can now successfully search for duplicate files within a subfolder on my hard disk (internal, fixed disk). However an issue still remains, which I discuss below.

I should have included the steps I was previously taking (which were not working):

===============
Open a new lister

Press Ctrl + F to open the Find panel and change the option (on the left side of the screen, beside the words “Utility Panel” to Duplicate Files.

Add any subfolder to the white “Find in” box, and click Find (sometimes it is necessary to click Find twice for anything to happen). This would result in a dialog box appearing namely “searching for duplicates files…” (below this line the word “yes" as shown in the first post of this thread).

Please note that the “Lock folder” option (padlock icon) was selected.

This also occurred if I choose to locate duplicate files via matching by MD5 checksum, Filename only or Filename and size.

However if I try the steps that you have kindly shown me with an external USB 3 hard disk, once again the same dialog box appears and no duplicate files are found.

This also occurs if I choose to locate duplicate files via matching by MD5 checksum, Filename only or Filename and size. Selecting options such as “Delete Mode” and “Number duplicate groups” does not affect the outcome.

Please note that the “Lock folder” option (padlock icon) was again selected.

Why I can search an internal hard disk and not an external hard disk successfully, I am not sure.

I really appreciate your assistance with this issue since I have grown to very much like the ability to search for duplicate within Opus rather than having to use another tool to do so. Opus is much more convenient.

Thanks again.

Doing those steps, I still can't reproduce the problem so far, using Opus 11.8.1.

If you turn off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names, do you still see the "yes" in the progress dialog?

The type of device is unlikely to be a factor (assuming everything is up to date; Windows 8.1 had USB3 driver issues for a while), but the content of the device could be a factor. If you copy the folder you're searching to a local drive, does that folder still behave the same way?

Hi,

I have the same problem Windows 7 64 bit DOP 5.04 .

get the yes and nothing found.

drive is D drive on a C: D: drive.

Regards

Ian Bowie

[quote="Jimbo575"]Open a new lister

Press Ctrl + F to open the Find panel and change the option (on the left side of the screen, beside the words “Utility Panel” to Duplicate Files.

Add any subfolder to the white “Find in” box, and click Find (sometimes it is necessary to click Find twice for anything to happen). This would result in a dialog box appearing namely “searching for duplicates files…” (below this line the word “yes" as shown in the first post of this thread).

Please note that the “Lock folder” option (padlock icon) was selected.

This also occurred if I choose to locate duplicate files via matching by MD5 checksum, Filename only or Filename and size.[/quote]

Many thanks!

With this we've been able to reproduce the problem and make a fix for it.

The fix should be in the next update.

Same symptoms here. The option to seek duplicates in a folder which is not the root is not available to me because the device in question is a 1.7TB removable, search results exceed 300GB and I nowhere have more than about one hundred GB free on the fixed drive.

DOpus 11.7 64-bit; Windows 7 64-bit

Try with 11.8.2 when it is released.

[quote="leo"]
Many thanks!

With this we've been able to reproduce the problem and make a fix for it.

The fix should be in the next update.[/quote]

Hello Leo,

That’s really good news. :sunglasses:

The option that you mentioned for me to disabled, namely Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names seems to have resolved the issue. I can now search for duplicate files on my external USB 3 drive or when copying the folder to my internal drive.

I am so glad to have this feature working again. I thank you very much for your informative and very helpful posts. I am really glad that the repro steps that I provided were of assistance to you. I will also try 11.8.2 when it's released.

I think "Display localized folder names" was unrelated in the end. That was my guess about where the "yes" might be coming from, but now that I understand exactly what was causing the problem, it's probably not the case.

How you add the folders to the Find In list is what can trigger the problem, although it's hard to specify the exact rules. All should be good in 11.8.2.

11.8.2 beta is available now. Please let us know if it fixes the problem for you, or if you still run into it.

Yes, 11.8.2 fixes the reported problem. Thanks!

However, I've still got problems - a separate post reports them.

Hi Leo,

Sorry for the late response. Yes, 11.8.2 works perfectly when searching for duplicate files. Many thanks for your time and assistance. :slight_smile: