Find - open containing folder from search results

I have used DO for 2 years. I am very happy with it.

When running a search (Find), the results come up nicely. What I would like to do is quickly go to the containing folder. There is a button that pops up on right-click of the filename that says (open containing folder). However its not in an intuitive location, and only appears on right-click on the filename itself, not the path.

• Can this feature be made a button at the bottom of the search window?
  • Better, can a bunch of results-specific options be listed at the bottom of a search. Such as copy path, copy filenames, copy path and filename
  • Can "open containing folder" be made to appear on right-click of the Location in the search results? Seems to me to be the more logical place to try a right-click.

While on Find, if I restrict find to today for example, why is it that the default date that shows up is not today? I still have to manually select today's date. I am not sure, but the default date appears to be the last date I used (even if weeks ago). It would be more convenient to have it default to today's date. yes, I am perfectly aware that I can chose today from the drop-down box, but my point is that that is extra work. Seems to me, today should be the default.

Also, I never know whether to search by date using "created or modified"? Are these redundant? Is there a way to search by both at the same time? Usually I want to know EITHER created or modified, and have to currently do the search twice to be sure.

Sorry my quetions seem so trivial, but they have been very minor annoyances to me..

Hi phil. Wow... Lotsa questions, why not ask "can you overhaul the whole search dialog" :laughing:. Just kidding...

Not intuitive? It's the second option down the RMB context menu for me... As far as not being able to click on the 'Location' column element... that would need to be a feature request, there's no place in ANY part of Opus that you can select anything other than a filename.

[quote="phil_ga"]- Can this feature be made a button at the bottom of the search window?

• Better, can a bunch of results-specific options be listed at the bottom of a search. Such as copy path, copy filenames, copy path and filename[/quote]
    Well, you could certainly create your own 'Search' toolbar... you could then modify the way you actually perform your searches to not only bring up the search dialog, but enable the special toolbar as well? Other than that, there's no way to actually modify any of the Opus dialogs themselves to include/exclude buttons like this.

Again, seems like a feature request to me... Maybe the 'Location' column field data could even be made into a 'hotpath' element so that simply clicking on it it would 'open' that path.

More on the date related questions later... gotta go feed the kid...

Go OPENCONTAINER NEWTAB=findexisting,nofocus will open the parent folder for the selected item in a new tab. (Remove the NEWTAB=... part if you don't want it to open a tab.) You could put a button which runs that command on your toolbar and make the toolbar appear automatically when you click your Find button.

Command to toggle a toolbar:
Toolbar NAME=FindToolbar STATE=bottom TOGGLE LOCAL

You could also add the Copy Names etc. commands to the toolbar, as explained in one of the FAQs.

Searching on Last Modified is usually a good bet as the modified time is usually after the Created time. It's only very rarely that I search for files by their creation time.

If you set the Date drop-down to Within then you can specify within 1 day and you then won't need to change it each day.

Thanks. Very helpful comments so far. I will get back when I have played around some...