Find results window - editing filenames is limited

When I open a find window and search for say "foster", I get a list of all the ebooks in all subfolders with that word in the filename. This part is perfect. What I want to do is edit the filenames of the resultant search results - because the files are spread over many subfolders, and I want some consistency in file names and need to do lots of "cleaning" up. However, when I try to edit filenames in this find window, some of the features that make dopus powerful and fast do not seem available. eg, a) selecting the filename automatically includes the extension, when it normally does not do so, b) after editing a filename, you cannot hit the up or down arrow to go to the next file and edit that one's name - instead you have to 'enter' (to complete the current edit, move to the next file, and hit F2 to edit - too many extra steps. Can editing in this window be made consistent with editing filenames in a regular lister? Or is this a feature request?

Send the results to a collection instead of the old results window (which could/should be removed really).

Also, I recommend using Tools -> Find Panel instead of the separate Find window.

Thanks a lot Leo! (Whew, don't you ever sleep??)

I set the top right of the Find window to "show results in" a "Lister (Collection)", and the output jumps to a new lister and its now all editable nicely thanks! I love it. Still, this is only about 90% of what i want (I hate being niggly, but maybe there is already a way?). The collection output show folders at the top and files below. What i like is a folder view, where there is the folder name, followed by the files in that folder, then the next folder name etc. I cannot find a way to get that view back. (but your tip is useful enough that I could live without this).

I tried the Tools -> Find Panel instead of the separate Find window. I don't like it as much as your first suggestion as half the window real estate is taken up by all the search parameters at the bottom - a bit cluttered. The lister (collection) is better. But this mode does have its own strengths.

Thanks for your help with this and all the other questions here!

If you have your results shown in the collection, using following will probably help:

Go {f} Set FLATVIEW=On,Grouped

(This only works from one level higher than your results collection is. So browse one level higher &
try this flatview mode).

Instead of using Find, go to the place you want to search from, switch to Flat View (Grouped), via the View menu, and then filter on foster or whatever you want to search for.

In Flat View mode, by default, the filter is only applied to files; all folders will still be shown. If you want to filter the folders as well there is an advanced Preferences option to enable that, but remember that if a folder is filtered out then everything below it will be as well.

[quote="leo"]Instead of using Find, go to the place you want to search from, switch to Flat View (Grouped), via the View menu, and then filter on foster or whatever you want to search for.
In Flat View mode, by default, the filter is only applied to files; all folders will still be shown. If you want to filter the folders as well there is an advanced Preferences option to enable that, but remember that if a folder is filtered out then everything below it will be as well.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, this works. It would have been too confusing if you had not explained about default filtering in this mode, but now it makes sense and does what I want.

..I have been a user for over 5 years - and there is new stuff to discover every day with this app....Its a simply brilliant brilliant file manager!!