Find/sync/Duplicate pane not loading, freezes lister

I installed Opus 9 on a Quad Core Windows 7 64 bit machine with plenty of Ram and Disk space (really plenty)
When I first installed Opus 9 as a trial the Find pane was one of the features that made me buy a license. At the time it worked flawlessly. It loaded automatically or popped up immediately with either its key shortcut (has been so long I forgot it) or the icon in the lister.

A few weeks later, seemingly overnight it refused to load at all. I started experimenting and I discovered it would eventually load but:

1. It would take as long as 20 minutes sometimes (that's 20 minutes, it's not a typo)
  2. for that amount of time the Lister where I tried loading the find panel would be non-responsive ("Not responding") but I can open other listers and use them while that one remains frozen.
  3. When it finally loads it works OK, but given that in many cases it crashes opus 9 outright, lately I haven't been using it much.

I submitted a ticket and the response was that I have a shell extension conflicting with Opus. I tried deactivating Shells (First half of them, then the other half and finally all of them minus the OS shells)
No luck. Even when In disabled as many shells as I safely could, making sure to disable those related to new software I installed, the problem persisted.

In fact, little by little Opus seems to be less and less stable. R-clicks sometimes take forever to load (in explorer too) where before they were faster than explorer. In this cases, deactivating the shells improved things but not as much as I thought it would. But certainly it was a lot more responsive.

I also followed the instruction on a post here on how to troubleshoot Opus. At least those I felt comfortable doing.
I unistalled and reinstalled Opus 9. No dice. Naturally, I upgraded it every time. The only thing I haven't been able to do has been to do a completely fresh install of Opus. When I unuistalled and reinstalled Opus seemed to remember a lot of my previous settings. I will post again asking how to perform a complete unistall (while also backing up what I have done so far)

In any event, it seems my problem is unique. Neither Google or this forum brought up anyone else having this issue.
I do have a lot of applications and utilities on this machine. I'll be the first to admit it. But I am a web developer, musician, graphic artist, programmer and videographer. I need all of them.

I hate the idea of having to abandon Opus 9, but I need a program that remaining stable gives me built in search. I figure I can mount Opus 9 on my Laptop. But before I do that I really would like to fix it. If there is a way.

Thank you for reading so far. If anyone has an idea of how I could try fixing this, I would love it and be eternally grateful.

Thank you

Try deleting the contents of /dopuslocaldata\State Data\MRU and restarting Opus. (Paste that into the Opus location field to go to the appropriate folder on your machine.) Also dupe.osd, find.osd and sync.osd one level above there.

Since you're also seeing slowness when right-clicking files, have you tried the FAQ here on debugging context menu issues?

If neither of those help, have you also tried temporarily disabling/uninstalling any anti-virus / firewall etc. software in case it is involved somehow?

Thanks for the replay. Indeed I followed the steps for the right click issue. It made the r-click better but not the search/sync pane.

I will try your suggestion and let you know how it goes. I also thought of something. Opus uses a number of stand alone applications. Even the preferences look like are a separate .exe.

I wonder if the search pane is also an application called by Opus. It would explain a few things. Maybe that application is conflicting with something or it needs to be installed again.

I am also concentrating on any program I may have installed after installing Opus. At the very beginning the search worked just fine and as I pointed out in my post it was one of the reasons I purchased Opus. Prior to that I tried scores of free and commercial "search" apps but none was what I was looking for. Opus' while a bit confusing at first was by far the best. But now I can't use it and in fact it seems it has gotten worse with time.,

A month ago, when I first posted in this forum, I complained because the search took almost 3 minutes to show up.

Ah, the good old days. I didn't know how good I had it :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks again and I'll try your fix

[quote="conticreative"]Opus uses a number of stand alone applications. Even the preferences look like are a separate .exe.

I wonder if the search pane is also an application called by Opus.[/quote]

Not sure where that idea comes from but it's not the case; the Opus preferences window is part of the same exe, as is the search pane.

The different Opus exes are explained in this FAQ. Almost everything is done by dopus.exe with the other exes only used for a few special purposes.

The reason I thought that may be the case is because when I search for Opus in the start menu, I see all the other EXE being listed separately from the main opus exe (but it doesn't really list them as filename.exe, just the filename.
I'll read the page on the EXE but basically I am grasping at straws here. I did find all the places Opus puts its files or at least the ones in the usual spots under "users" so next time when I do a fresh install I'll make sure they are all cleaned of older files. Unfortunately, interacting with the files mentioned before produced no results as far as the problem is concerned.
Unfortunately, this is the only 64bit machine I have or I would love to test it on another 64bit and see if I can reproduce the error.

Like in airplane crashes, almost always is a combination of things going wrong that makes a program behave this way, especially when it works flawlessly for 99.9% of the other users. I must have hit on a deadly combo.

Thanks again. I am going for a (really) fresh install.

It won't be due to 64-bit; many of us run 64-bit on our main machines so issues triggered by that alone would have been spotted years ago. :slight_smile:

Actually, I mentioned 64 bit so that I could try to compare apples and apples and maybe try moving files from one machine to the other to see if I could find what was causing this. But I am glad to hear more and more people are using 64bit. When I first went 64 a few years ago, I was the odd duck.

As I outlined in my other post, I performed a clean install. In order to accomplish that I had to clean several folders and the registry by hand even after using the Opus uninstaller and a custom uninstall program that goes a bit deeper.

But finally I was able to install Opus clean and the search pane is now working fine. Given the results of the work I have done, I now think that probably one of the preference files was corrupted and crashed the lister where I tried to make the search show up. It wasn't a shell conflict after all or at least the fresh installed resolved the problem.

In any case, the full uninstall worked and that's all that count. Now I am happy again.

Thanks to all that helped.

As mentioned in the other thread (and repeated here more for anyone else reading this one), I suspect the problem was due to something interfering with the installer and/or uninstaller.