Find-Window: "Open containing folder" doesn't open tabs

In "Filetypes" -> "Collection Item" -> "Context Menu" the corresponding function is set to: "go {sourcepath} NEWTAB=findexisting"
This is working fine in listers, however, when used in a find-window a new window is opened instead of a new tab.
Edit: I have just found out that the "Open containing folder" behaviour in find windows can't be changed via the filetypes menu.
However, is there any way to force DOpus to open containing folders in tabs instead of windows?

Thanks for helping me out!

Looks like that the menu for results shown in the Find window itself (rather than in a Lister) isn't editable.

Opus should probably (if technically possible) apply the Collection Item filetype's menus to the Find window's items (even though they're not strictly a collection). I've filed a feature request to ask for this.

Just in case you haven't seen it, there is also a Find panel which opens as part of the lister. Although the two Find tools are very similar I think the panel version is slightly better than the separate window because the results appear inside the same lister as a collection (where you can edit the context menu).

I know a lot of people discover the Find window and don't go on to discover the Find panel so I thought I'd mention it. Sorry if you already knew it was there.

Nudel, thanks a lot for your detailed response!
I haven't found a convenient way yet to switch to the find results or closing the panel without leaving the keyboard.
Did I miss out on some of Opus' latest features here?
Otherwise, some PowerPro scripting should put things right.

[quote="kingding"]Nudel, thanks a lot for your detailed response!
I haven't found a convenient way yet to switch to the find results or closing the panel without leaving the keyboard.
Did I miss out on some of Opus' latest features here?
Otherwise, some PowerPro scripting should put things right.[/quote]
Depends where the Find Results are being sent. :slight_smile: If you're using the separate Find window then you can have the results go into the window itself (a list opens at the bottom). If you're using the Find panel in a lister then the results can be sent to a collection which appears in the lister. So you can see the results without having to switch to another window. To interact with the results, though, it seems you have to click with the mouse or press Tab lots of times, due to the general problem of hotkeys being swallowed by the Find panel. (As a workaround, setting a hotkey to be System-Wide would probably make it work, but then it would also work outside of Opus which might be annoying, depending on the key you chose.)

Hi, I am not entirely sure if this is the right thread, but instead of opening a new one, I'll post in here... :slight_smile:

In "Find Results", I am missing a right click context menu entry saying "open containing folder in new tab". Should I file a request, or am I once again blind to a function... sorry if so.

If it isn't there then you can add it via Settings -> File Types:

I love this software! Thanks, nudel!

OMG so Genious...
thanks
helped me even years after

Now, one more question guys,

Is it possible to open ALL collections in new tabs?

Explaining more:

I am organizing my files, and I started by separating them in different folders with specific files.

For a simple example, a simplified version of my problem:

• I Searched for VIDEO FILE TYPES, that have 50mb more....
  • Then, I found various vídeos of 2 TV shows...
  • I sorted by folders
  • I grouped them
  • I collapsed all groups
  • I right click a group and open in new tab (With the marvelous command teached before)
    So, instead of gattering all files of both TV shows, out of their right folder, out of their season folder and mixing them... I just move the entire folder of each one to my "VIDEOS WITH MORE THEN 50MB FOLDER"

just, it's not just 2 TV shows, I have more groups.... and not just one search... I have multiple filters... so I wanted to open ALL groups in new tabs (at least of each filter)

thaaanks, sorry for the confusion

Try

Go FROMSEL NEWTAB

I'm back on this topic after 14 years.... :slight_smile:

So... if I set up DOpus the way Leo described (go opencontainer NEWTAB=findexisting), it will reuse a tab if the folder in question is already open.

Let's assume that folder contains 100 files, one of witch has already been selected and is positioned at the end of the list.

After executing the command, DOpus will now ADDITIONALLY select the file from which the command was executed.

Two files are selected now.

Both selected files might be completely unrelated.

Thus I would like to ask if it is possible to force DOpus to open a completely new tab for that folder in all cases, also if the folder is already open?

(Related:
Settings:
Single middle-click runs Middle double-click File Type event: I noticed Go NEWTAB only works when clicking on a folder in the folder tree, not in the right file/folder area. Is that deliberate?)

Remove =findexisting from the command.

I might be missing sth here, but of course I have already tried removing this and it will still reuse the tab.... I might be confused...?

Hmm, you're right. It's not working how I expected. I'll look into it!

It turns out that Go OPENCONTAINER NEWTAB always acts like findexisting was specified. Makes sense given how it's typically used, so we don't want to change that and break things.

But in the next version, you'll be able to do this to get what you want:

Go OPENCONTAINER NEWTAB=nofindexisting
1 Like

That change is in the beta released today: Directory Opus 12.24.1 (Beta)

1 Like