First opening of My Computer SLOWDOWN

Hello!

I'm experiencing a significant slowdown when I click on My Computer icon for the first time after the WinXP+SP2 has booted up. The computer seems to do nothing for 5-6 seconds and after then the window pops up. When I close it and I click My Computer again, window pops up immediately as usual.

Have you experienced this problem too? Is it caused by some interference with other programs?

thanx

Does it only happen with DOpus installed/run ?

I have XP SP2 and DOpus set to open a lister automatically upon boot up. DOpus loads just fine however the folder tree is not updated for about 2 minutes after everything else is loaded. I think I read in one of the messages here somewhere (or maybe in the old forum) that upon boot up DOpus initially does some tasks in a low priority background mode. Apparently updating the folder tree is one of those low priority tasks which I would expect is related to updating the My Computer display.

John

I have a similar behavieour - however it has been the same with explorer before opus came into use. So I don´t think that´s a matter of opus then. As far as I remember opus uses a cache that explains the quick response thereafter.

best regads
Lothar

[quote]
glwxxx wrote:
I'm experiencing a significant slowdown when I click on My Computer icon for the first time after the WinXP+SP2 has booted up. The computer seems to do nothing for 5-6 seconds and after then the window pops up. When I close it and I click My Computer again, window pops up immediately as usual.

Have you experienced this problem too? Is it caused by some interference with other programs?[/quote]

I'm assumming you've checked for viruses, etc ...
Per chance do you have the Dev C++ freeware compiler installed ?
I had mentioned it on this forum some time ago.

I reluctantly reply as my computer is much older than yours,
but I experienced severe slowdowns recently.
The computer would run at almost half speed until it had been running for half an hour or so.
When I go to sleep I like to play music such as Enya.
It would freeze and gap much as Leo's dreaded MP3 players !

I tried spyware tools and antivirus with no effect.
It was horrible !
I eventually went back two backups to eliminate it.
After reinstalling the other modifications I had made I narrowed it to Dev C++.

Dev C++ didn't register an add/remove programs listing on my system.
And even after using the folder uninstall, the system was corrupt.

Even worse my Sonique player would show the problem visually.
The music would display the sound video, then freeze, and then resume !
It made keyboard input awful to DEAD!

It's gone now though and I use an old Borland C++ compiler.

This really is a Directory Opus forum though.
That's about all I can do .

Regards,
                              Porcupine :opusicon:

With or without Opus, Windows is still launching a lot of stuff long after the desktop has appeared and it looks like it's ready to do things.

If you open Task Manager or PrefMon you'll see a lot of activity going on and your harddrive light will likely be flashing quite a lot.

Once all that settles down, if you have set Opus to automatically run at startup, then double-clicking My Computer (or whatever) should be very fast. But if auto-startup is off then the first time you call on Opus it will, of course, take longer because it has to load.

The auto-start option is in Preferences, Startup.

Whether or not auto-startup is on, if you try and do anything too soon after boot-up then it's always going to be slow, even something simple like opening Notepad, because there's about 10 other programs and system components which are still initializing and using a lot of CPU and disk access.

Of course, the usual things apply if you want to reduce the delay in things starting up after a boot. Run anti-spyware and anti-virus tools. (Spyware can seriously degrade system performance, especially at boot.) Run a good defrag tool. Make sure your drives are not too full. Use a fixed-sized swap file (and defrag it after you fix the size, assuming your defrag tool of choice can do so).

In terms of Opus startup, I think having large Collections, especially if they point to network drives, can slow things down. This was going to be improved but I can't remember if it has been or not.

I recently figured out what it was (in my case, at least). Nero Image Drive.

I have seen this behavioure caused by the new scout-feature in Nero7.
If anyone has bought this otherwise great software, but scout turns your opening of your Opus to an halt, try this (it worked for me):

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"