Folder Alias with broken links

I have a ton of aging folder aliases, maybe 300+, some of the paths no longer exist or were changed
is there a way to validate the paths and either kill them or flag them ?

A script could loop through the Aliases collection, checking if the exist and deleting the ones that don't.

is the place for feature request?
add a button to validate aliases
(i am not script enabled)

We'll see what we can do. Seems like something that would be useful for a few people, certainly.

I thought there was already a script to do this somewhere but I can't find it, and may have been confusing it with something else.

Give this a try. Its a hack of a previous POC I was playing with. Its not very polished but a added the ability to only show dead links.

1 Like

Thanks wowbagger, i got it to work!
never ran a script or did anything like this before but with a little bit of googling and your Paste Button it all ran like a charm

there were quite a few dead ones, have to delete them one by one, correct ?
if you ever get inspired maybe a way to multi select or a button to nuke them all would be nice, on the other hand this was easy enough
i learned how to drag the osp file into the Prefs script area and how to paste your button code due to Dopus' thoughtful automated tips when my first attempt failed
thanks again

Glad it helped.
I did consider letting it remove all the dead ones. However I was concerned that if there was a bug it could delete all your aliases by mistake. So thought showing the dead ones and letting you fix or delete seems like a compromise, with much less risk.

it is fine the way it is, this is not the sort of task that needs to be done very often,
for me Folder Aliases are one of the main go-to features for using Dopus

i just wish it could be somehow married to the file open boxes for common applications that use standard Windows file open dialogs
currently what i do is plan ahead, use an alias to jump to the folder, then use a button to put the file in the clipboard with the full path, then go to the application File Open and paste the full path

Not sure if any do aliases, but they can add shortcuts to folders open in Opus, as well as Opus favorites to the File Open dialogs: