Folder ATTR (HR) can be Del from a Path Breadcrumbs field

(As Usual, hope my English is good from french)
Hi Leo,
This is another situation that came to my attention this weekend which cause me some worries. I don't know if I can call it a bug or perhaps something which need to be modified.
Anyway here the situation:
I Have about 20 folder set with Attr HR (recurse) under a main folder which also have ATTR HR (recurse) to avoid unexpected delete from people accessing my computer. . All files in any of those folder are set automatically with the ATTR HR. Those folder contains important Data Base for my little Business. Sometime when a file is not needed anymore in one folder I just delete it. To do so I had made a simple Button in my ToolBar which do this:

@toggle:invert
Set GLOBALHIDEHIDDEN=toggle

Once the Hidden ATTR is turn off I go to my main Folder for my Business which contain under it, the 20 hidden folder, now visible.
So Yesterday, as I was looking at one of those 20 folder which had about 30 files of Data, I deleted 2 files from it. Then, I toggle the GLOBALHIDEHIDDEN Button to hide again all my 20 Directory. But here what really happened.
After deleting those 2 files, I clicked the GLOBALHIDEHIDDEN Button, while I was still displaying the contain of this folder. As soon as I clicked the Hidden Button, evidently all files and folder with ATTR H, disappear from the Files Display (actually got hidden). But OPUS did not move to a Parent directory which was not hidden. It stayed in this Directory, now hidden. I did not observed that at first.
So I left my desk and my wife came in. But the File display Bar which contain a Path (Breadcrumbs type field) was still showing the name of the directory with a blank Display file of course (since all 28 file remaining were hidden). My wife thought it was an empty directory and from the File Display bar, she right click on the Directory and deleted it and it deleted with ATTR HR turned ON. Thanks God I had a Backup. So I wonder why OPUS did not update himself when I hided all folder, by moving to a Parent directory with no (H) Attribute and remove the Directory name from the PATH BREADCRUMBS FIELD. This is either a bug or an option that should be taken in consideration in future update. More of this, is that I can use Navigation Button back and forward, (in and out of this hidden folder) as long as it appear in the File Display Bar in the (PATH BreadCrumbs field type)

A folder being hidden does not stop you being inside of that folder via whatever method (e.g. manually typing the folder's name, or going into it with hidden folders visible, then making them invisible).

I feel stupid :blush: asking you a question for which I already know the answer.
That is my problem when I switch from french to English.
But, anyway, I do have an honest question.
Hiding a folder does give me a certain protection from employee using my computer, (because unless they know the name and path of the hidden folder and use an ADMIN DOS CMD with {Del PATH and using /Q/F/AHR argument}, hiding the folder does give a little security.
But could it be a possibility that in the future upgrade of OPUS, that any hidden folder would not show up (make their name disappear) in any PATH Breadcrumbs field (like a toggle) or other mean to know the name of a hidden folder as it defeat the IDEA of hiding them in the first place. This was actually my point.
:smiley:

If you want to protect folders against access or deletion by your employees, use the permissions system.

Sometime my head is so everywhere that I forget about simple things like permission or privilege (We tend to forget about Windows as we use DO daily). Sorry for the inconvenient. But as other said before me there is no stupid question.
Thanks Jon for wake me up. (I shall drink coffee again as I quit a few months ago) HA!
Still having fun with OPUS 11. The team of GPSoftware did a amazing job with this new version. Very Well Done

Maybe you try those user commands I added some seconds ago to un/protect files from deletion.
I wanted to upload these for some time and took the opportunity to do it now, as you may be in need for them o).

Hi Tbone
Thanks for the function code TBone. It was actually what I was planning to do after my last Communication with Jon in this topic. I felt so "DUM" after starting this topic when I realized I already knew the answer and solution. I work so much with OPUS as a replacement of Window explorer that I forget about the existence of OS WINDOW and his environment management .
Thanks again Tbone. You saved me time to build it myself.
:thumbsup:

Well, I didn't lose awareness about using windows yet o), but I also tried to abuse the "read-only" attribute for similar things.
Leo and Jon tought me as well, that that's the wrong way to protect sensitive data.

I guess restricting permissions for yourself is something you don't think of at the first place, especially if you always work in full-admin mode, having UAC etc. disabled, like I do. Regardles of how sensible that is - I feel restrictions slow me down, but for the files, it is the only way to be kind of safe.
You generally don't hesitate to restrict file access and privileges for other people on your ftp or technical users on whatsover.
Times of the FastFileSystem with no permission layer and SingleUser operating systems have passed, so obviously it's time to rethink some habbits. o)

I agree with you on your last statement TBone. I have 7 computer and actually Opus install with licence for 2 computer. I intend to buy more licence so all computer will be equipped with OPUS 11. But first, I am testing it thoroughly. And as you mentioned, I was always working in full admin-mode, having UAC disable because I hated all those restriction. But with what happened this week-end, when my wife deleted sensitive information purely by lack of knowledge on computer and OPUS environment, (and thanks god I had a back-up), I realize with Jon that I forgot about common sense practices. I could actually have done the same mistake myself as my wife did. So at least this topic rang a Bell that it was time for me to review, as you said, (some habbits) like any security leak, including permission and user profile, OPUS or Not. Those guy at GPSoftware really care as demonstrated by their advises that are sometime not related to OPUS. This is very professional. I love this program anyway.
(Hope my English is not to Bad as I speak french).