Folder-Based Persistent Positioning

I am currently evaluating DOpus 8, and want to have it reproduce Windows Explorer's behaviour of being able to open specified folders at specified desktop positions...

I have a number of desktop shortcuts for frequently used folders, each opening a specified folder in Windows Explorer. I make use of the convenience whereby each Explorer window opens at a predefined location on-screen (i.e., at the same location as they were when last closed).

I can't seem to configure DOpus' options to mimic this behaviour. Is it possible?

You can use the Layouts system in Opus to do this (and can create shortcuts on your desktop which open different layouts).

[quote]
nudel wrote:
You can use the Layouts system in Opus to do this (and can create shortcuts on your desktop which open different layouts).[/quote]
Mmm, that's very clunky. So, if I want then to adjust an on-screen position I need to change and re-save a layout? I prefer Windows Explorer's simplicity of auto-remembering each folder's settings.

You can update a saved layout with a single button click. If you add a button which runs this command it will automatically save the current lister to a Layout with the same name as the directory shown in the lister. If the layout already exists it will be updated.

dopusrt /cmd Prefs LAYOUTSAVE=single LAYOUTNAME={sourcepath$}

You can also have it prompt you for the layout name (and the dialog has a drop-down to select existing names), if you prefer:

Prefs LAYOUTSAVE=single

(Which is just the pre-defined "Save This Lister" button you'll find in the Customize dialog.)

OK, thanks, I'll give that a try. What would be the command-line to start DOpus (via a shortcut) with a specified folder and layout?

The easiest way is to go into Preferences, Layout, Saved Layouts and drag a layout from the list to your deskop to create a shortcut.