Folder/File Counts & pasting things into folders

I have the File count and Sub-folder count columns in my standard column set. For me these numbers convey vital information.

I often want to move some files out of one folder into a sibling folder. I do this by selecting the files, cutting them (CTRL/X), going to the parent (Backspace), highlighting the folder where I want the put the files using the up/down keys, and then Pasting the files into the folder via the MenuKey and P. BTW if I use the mouse to do the same thing then the outcome is the same. I just like to remind people that some of us prefer the keyboard to the mouse - for us its usually faster and more accurate.

My problem is that the folder and file counts are not updated for the Cut & Paste folders, unless I do a refresh in some way. This means I get no confirmation that a simple Cut and Paste operation actually worked, without an extra step of refreshing a list of maybe 1000's of folders when only two of them changed. If I use F5 I lose context when the list is refreshed - I want to stay where I am, so I have to enter and back out of the folder where I did the paste to see the changes in the parent list.

Is there a setting that will force a Refresh to occur after this sort of event - its only 2 values on the 2 folders that changed I want refreshed. There is no requirement to browse every folder in the list, or drill down adding up the sizes - I stopped the latter, wish I understood how though.

Thank you - BR

With the target folder selected, run the GetSizes command (Ctrl-L by default). That will update the totals shown for the folder, without updating those of any other folder.

(GetSizes will update all folders if none are selected, and only the selected folder(s) if any are selected.)

[quote="leo"]With the target folder selected, run the GetSizes command (Ctrl-L by default). That will update the totals shown for the folder, without updating those of any other folder.

(GetSizes will update all folders if none are selected, and only the selected folder(s) if any are selected.)[/quote]
Wrong answer leo - I thought I make it clear I don't want to press any buttons or keys - an alternative button to press is not an answer

So I assume the answer is - there is no setting that will cause the counts to be updated automatically.

Why should I have to press anything - CTRL/L, F5, enter/backpace, backspace/enter... to see the results of a cut & paste operation.

I cut 3 of the 10 files out of folder B, and paste them into the folder A which currently has 2 files. What I see is that folder B's file count is 10, and folder A's file count is 2 - yet we all know that there are now 7 files in folder B and 5 files in folder A. What happened to WYSIWYG, information at your fingertips - this is information hiding gone mad.

Why cant the file count column for folder A be increased by 3 to show 5, and the file count column for folder B be decreased by 3 to show 7.

Alternatively given that a change event happened on each folder then for each folder

if Folders->Folder Behaviour->Calculate folder sizes automatically for is checked { accumulate sizes and display results } else {do nothing}

Presumably the Folder object has something like a collection of file descriptors (filelist) and a collection of folder descriptors (folder list).
Every collection object I ever dealt with has a simple means if getting a count of the number of objects in the collection - eg list.count.
So display filelist.count and folderlist.count in the relevant columns.

How do I lodge an official change request ?

BR

Just an idea: you could edit your "ctrl-v" command to include the Getsizes part to achieve this.

Just an idea: you could edit your "ctrl-v" command to include the Getsizes part to achieve this.[/quote]
Thanks for your idea abr - but it won't work for me

In this context I am not using ctrl/v, I'm using the Windows Context Menu Paste - for me that's MenuKey, P. A ctrl/v will paste the files I just cut from subfolder B into the parent folder, NOT into highlighted subfolder A. And I have the same issue if I drag something from Source and drop it onto a folder in Destination, and when I 'pick up & drop' Link Shell Extension objects such as a Hardlink Clone into folder. I am not keen on 'overriding' normal behavior of standard Windows, or hacking into LSE's Pick & Drop operations.

However my paramount consideration is that adding GetSizes will cause Opus to climb down any symlinks or junctions under the folder in question, including those that target folders on offline drives. One of my projects has 28,000 folder symlinks targeting 8000 folders, another has 36,000 targeting 10,000. It is in the context of these projects that I want the accurate folder/file counts - they convey valuable indicative information.

In that situation GetSize is will almost invariably display misinformation because it accumulates the size of symlink targets - a symlink only consumes pre-allocated MFT space. I also use a lot of hardlinks - a hardlink only consumes MFT space. So a 1.000 links to a single 4K file consumes 4K of available space - not 4.000K. I have a few files with a 1,000 links, and scores with up to 500 links.

As a consequence of all that, I've gone out of my way to avoid GetSize, including disabling Ctrl/L etc.

An analogy - if I want to know how many apples there are in a fruit bowl then I count them - I don't weigh them.

BR