Folder & File Icons - Beginner's question

Hello,

Brand new to Directory Opus. I'm sure this is a simple thing, but searches of the manual, help system, and this forum haven't yet helped me figure out my question.

A very good percentage (but not all) folder and file icons shown in DO have an old-fashion type microphone pasted on top of them. I'm finding this highly distracting and find myself using Win Explorer throughout the day because the file type icons are so much easier to identify. I can find what I'm looking for much faster with the clearer icons in Explorer. I am very new to DO, but have noticed unbelievable customability of the UI built into the software. Surely there is some setting that I haven't yet found to keep DO from obscuring file and folder icons with the old-fashioned microphone. Can somebody help me?

Also, if somebody can help me better understand why some icons have the microphone and some don't - I'd appreciate it. I'm curious and would like to expand my understanding of the programs features. Thank you.

Dave

I'm not sure what that icon would be. Could you post a screenshot so we can see what you're describing?

Hello Leo,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Please see attached screen shot. Notice that some icons in the left hand tree have normal icons. The folders and the files shown on the right have that microphone (I think that's what it is) on top of the normal icons. At the bottom of the window you can see that the microphone on top of the standard icons makes it very difficult to distinguish between the Excel and Word files.

Thanks.

Dave

Is there a cloud storage or file synching tool attached to that Docs folder or the drive it is on?

Yes. Sugarsync. Is this to blame? Since the icons were obscured by a microphone only in Directory Opus and not in Explorer, I didn't occur to me that the file syncing service would be connected. (I assume the microphone is thematically connected with the "Opus" file manager name.) Is this something that can be fixed with a setting within DO - or do I need to take this up with Sugarsync? If so, why are the icons only obscured by the microphone in DO? Thanks.

Dave

The icon isn't something from Opus itself. Opus asks Windows, which in turn asks any installed shell extensions, which icon and (optionally) overlay to display for each item, and then displays them.

For some reason, it seems the Sugarsync shell extension may be telling Opus to display that microphone overlay on all the files.

It's possible this is a shell icon caching bug, which happens sometimes and causes the overlay icons to go out of sync. Running Clear Icon Cache may help there. (Opus and Explorer have independent icon caches, so that may explain the difference.)

It's also possible that there are too many shell extensions adding icon overlays on your system. Windows has a hard limit of 15 or so icon overlays, which is very small and easily reached if a lot of shell extensions all add their own overlays (or one extension adds lots). In that case you can end up with different results in different programs because the order the icons are requested determines the winner, and you might do different things in each program to result in a different set of overlays "locked in" until the icon cache is cleared.

A third possibility is there's a bug in the shell extension, which is only triggered when it is run within Opus, or similar. (It's also possible the bug is in Opus, but unlikely in this case, since Opus just asks Windows for the icon and overlay and then displays the result; obtaining and caching the icon and overlay, and talking to any icon shell extensions, are all done by Windows itself.)