Folder format in network shares: strange behaviour

Hi,

Folder format for network folders referred thru a mapped drive are running well. I.E., if I set View=Large icons in Settings | Preferences | Folders | Folder formats | Folder formats for a newly created Folder format for X:\NetFolder\SubFolder (a folder in a mapped drive), it runs well. Files in folder are showed as large icons. However, if I remove this, and then do the same creating the folder format for \Server\NetFolder\SubFolder (a folder in a network share), the view setting (View=Large icons) is not applied. And in this last case, strangely, the Folder format name is "\Server\NetFolder\SubFolder" only until I close the Preferences window. Next time I open it, the name has changed to "Server\NetFolder\SubFolder", without the initial backslashes.

I need to manage Folder formats for network shares, and this is driving me nuts. Can you suggest me anything?

Thanks in advance and please excuse my poor english.

Regards,

Pritch

I don't have any network drives at home anymore so I can't try it out but I've definitely had this working in the past since I used to keep all my music on a network drive that wasn't mapped to a drive letter (always accessed via UNC path) but also had a special format in Opus.

Have you tried both methods of creating a format for the path?[ol][li] Clicking the Add button in Preferences, Folders, Folder Formats;[/li]
[li] Accessing the separate Folder Options dialog from within a lister and saving the format For This Folder using the button at the top.[/li][/ol]Maybe one works but the other doesn't or something. I know it defintely can be done, though. Double check you've got the latest Opus as well, just in case.

[quote="nudel"]I don't have any network drives at home anymore so I can't try it out but I've definitely had this working in the past since I used to keep all my music on a network drive that wasn't mapped to a drive letter (always accessed via UNC path) but also had a special format in Opus.

Have you tried both methods of creating a format for the path?[ol][li] Clicking the Add button in Preferences, Folders, Folder Formats;[/li]
[li] Accessing the separate Folder Options dialog from within a lister and saving the format For This Folder using the button at the top.[/li][/ol]Maybe one works but the other doesn't or something. I know it defintely can be done, though. Double check you've got the latest Opus as well, just in case.[/quote]
Option 1 is precisely the method I used and described in my first message. It doesn't work, as I painstakingly explained in my botched english.

Option 2 works only when, after save operation, preferences are opened, folder format is changed in some way, changes applied, and all listers are closed and then reopened. (?!) This isn't a workaround: this is a torture.

In addition, folder styles are applying unexpected folder formats. I need a reliable folder presentation system, and regretably DO8 do not provide this. I will uninstall it, I can't lose more time on it.

You can see in this forum multiple queries and problems about views. In all probability this can't be caused by a user's mania. You've a problem with this.

Regards,

Pritch

Have you read this FAQ?

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

I think it will solve at least some of your problems.

Yes, I've read it. But unfortunately doesn't solve none of my problems. In short, this FAQ explain how to avoid Folder Format definition problems. In my view, my problems aren't Folder Format definition problems.

Please consider these points:

[quote="nudel"]1. Clicking the Add button in Preferences, Folders, Folder Formats;
[/quote]
When I save a Folder Format for a folder in a network share, via Preferences, the initial double backslahes are lost (edit: are lost in the Preferences | Folders | Folder Formats | Folder Formats list). This is not a Folder Format definition problem; this is an Folder Format storage problem.

[quote="nudel"]2. Accessing the separate Folder Options dialog from within a lister and saving the format For This Folder using the button at the top.
[/quote][quote="Pritcher"]Option 2 works only when, after save operation, preferences are opened, folder format is changed in some way, changes applied, and all listers are closed and then reopened. (?!) This isn't a workaround: this is a torture.
[/quote]
You can observe that formats are accurately displayed, but only after of this strange set of operations I described. Why folder format is not applied inmmediately after saved? Why is needed to open preferences, edit the already saved Folder Format, apply changes, close all listers and reopen them?.

This is not a Folder Format definition problem; this is an Folder Format application problem.

[quote="Pritcher"]In addition, folder styles are applying unexpected folder formats.
[/quote]
I will try to explain this in detail.

When I set a Format for a Folder Style (a Tab) via Preferences | Layout | Lister Styles | Left (or right) File Display | Format-Edit, I'm achieving to see the desired format only after change current folder in the lister. The first time I see the folder, it is displayed with an unexpected format. But if I navigate to other folder and then return to original folder, it is then showed with the desided format.

This is not a Folder Format definition problem; this is an Folder Format application problem.

For me all these problems are clearly related with the way in that DO8 manages Folder Formats. IMHO, there are some problems in DO8 with this respect. And, if I can say it, a little interest to solve them.

What a pity. IMO, your software is the best explorer replacement available in the Net. With difference. But for me, views management are essential. In fact and in my case, this is then only real reason to replace Windows Explorer by another software.

Please excuse again my english.

Regards,

Pritch

If you change the format via Folder Options then the change should be immediate for the lister that opened the Folder Options dialog. (Other listers won't be affected.)

If you change the format for a directory, or type of directory, in Preferences then that doesn't have an immediate effect on existing listers. This is because Opus works out which format to apply when you change directories. (The same is true for styles: Changes made to their definitions will only take effect when you next click the style's tab.)

The stuff explained in the Changes to the Default Formats section of the FAQ can also complicate things but if you always close and re-open a lister then you don't have to worry about any of that.

I'm not sure if any of that helps with the problem you're having with Styles. If you close and re-open the lister (just to be sure) and then click on the style you've edited do you still have to change directories to see the format you've defined? I don't use styles myself so I'm no expert on them but if it doesn't work then it sounds like a bug.

I'm writing this from work where there are lots of UNC paths to play with and I can confirm that there is a bug when adding a format for a UNC path via preferences: If you close and re-open the dialog the \ is gone from the path, like you say. I will file a bug report on that so it will get fixed by GPSoftware.

Defining a folder format for a UNC path via the Folder Options dialog ("Save for This Folder") seems to work fine as a workaround until the bug is fixed.

Also Pritch, you seem to be taking Nudel's feedback as some sort of opposition to the problems you're having. Don't, he's trying to make sure whether the problems you're seeing are usage related or actual problems with DO. But this is a 'user' forum, not a GPSoft support site...

From the main index poage of this forum:
Note: This is not the official GP Software support channel for Directory Opus. Registered users may submit support requests through the official support page.

This kind of attitude kind of annoys me. There are people here like Nudel, Tanis, JohnZeman, and others who spend alot of time trying to help people simply because we enjoy it and like Opus alot and want to see it succeed. But again, this is not official GPSoft support...

Nudel is already submitting the bug report for the double-backslash thing for you. As far as the rest of the problems you're seeing, what very often happens is that after conversing back and forth with others here on the forums the cause of such problems can be narrowed down a bit better, and can sometimes help GPSoft address them after an official bug report is filed.

BTW- I don't think theres anything terribly wrong about your english :slight_smile:.

[quote="nudel"]I'm not sure if any of that helps with the problem you're having with Styles. If you close and re-open the lister (just to be sure) and then click on the style you've edited do you still have to change directories to see the format you've defined?[/quote]It's worse. I've repeated all tests about this, and now Folder Formats for Folder Styles aren't never applied. I'm sorry, I'm not able to explain the reasons of this.

My test preferences for Lister Styles:

Folder Format test options for Lister Style "qStd":

"Columns" and "Filter" tabs have default values.

My test preferences for Folder Formats.

In the Folder Format for \Jcosvr2k3\PubLib you can see also the backslashes issue. "" are only showed when I've just added folder. Subsequently Preferences window openings are already showing without the backslashes, like in this shot.

Folder Format test options for \Jcosvr2k3\Publib:

Custom Default Folder Format test options:

[quote="steje"][...][/quote]It's my mistake. I've not seen the note in the main index page. I am so absorbed in these DO8 problems that I haven't taken the trouble to perform an accurate exploration of support options available :unamused:. My sincere appologies to all.

Thanks nudel for your dedication and patience. I will try your suggests when I can, and I will post my observations.

Regards,

Pritch

Edit:

BTW:
Directory Opus 8.2.0.2
Windows XP 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)

Which folder are you viewing when you switch tot he qStd style? Can you post a screenshot showing what the lister looks like right after you've clicked the style's tab?

I just tried to reproduce the problem you're seeing by defining a style the same as yours but for me it seems to work fine.

By the way, styles won't affect the format of special system folders like My Computer, Desktop, etc. It also looks like if you apply a style while a system folder is showing then the style isn't applied when you change to a normal folder (you have to click on it again). I'll report that to GPSoft as well.

On second thoughts, I'm not going to report that as it's not really a bug. It fits with the behaviour of the "Changes to default formats" section of the FAQ: My Computer (etc.) is a different type of folder to C:\ (for example), so when you move from one to the other the format is re-evaluated and the one applied by the style is lost.

The lock icon in the status bar can be clicked to lock the format so it isn't re-evaluated on a folder change. (You can't see the icon when a system folder is showing since the status bar changes, but you can add the Format Lock command to a toolbar as well.)

I wonder if Styles should have the option to turn on/off the lock icon automatically? If I was using a style to set a folder format I would want that format to be sticky rather than a one-off application.

It seems confusing to me that the format can change but the style is still visually selected but that's also true of e.g. a style which turns the tree on: It still appears selected even if you close the tree and are not really seeing the style anymore. I wonder if Opus should detect changes to features/formats specified by the active style and deselect the style? (Obviously not all changes should deselect the style. If the style doesn't specify whether or not there's a tree then opening or closing the tree shouldn't deselect the style.)

I'll post those two paragraphs as feature requests to GPSoft instead. :slight_smile:

Maybe rather than deselcting the style tab there could be some other visual queue to indicate something in the display has changed to invalidate the style - similar to what we saw done for the when loss of navlock sync occurs... keep in mind that 'tabs' are only 1 of three toolbar based methods for invoking styles. You've also got List and Drop-down...

Anyhow, Pritch... I'll try and play around and see if I can reproduce any of what you're seeing also. I just recently defined some styles while working on somethign for another user, but like Nudel I don't normally play with them. But I understand... your problems are beyond just styles.

Hi,

Here is the complete steps that you can follow to reproduce the problem. I hope can help you:

1. Create a new Lister Style by pressing New button in [Settings | Preferences | Layout | Lister Styles]. Here, I called it qTestStyle. Once added the new Style, check [Left File Display | Format] checkbox.

2. While qTestStyle is selected, press Tabs button in [Lister Styles | Left File Display] window, and add a folder. Here, I added C:\WINDOWS. I checked Close a existing Folder Tabs because I want a style without inherited Tabs from other styles. Finally, press Ok to return to [Settings | Preferences | Layout | Lister Styles] window.

3. While qTestStyle is selected, press [Left File Display | Format-Edit...] button, and in the [Edit Format | Columns] tab, Reset Page to Custom using the button in the right bottom side of the Edit Format window.

4. In the [Edit Format | Display] tab, set Descending sort by Size.

5. These are the settings for [Edit Format | Options] tab:

6. The result is this:

If you have such problems than me, the result will be the same when you select another Lister Style, returning later to qTestStyle: lister is sorted by filename, as indicated in the Custom Folder Format. Format for Style is ignored. You will get same results closing and reopening lister, or even resetting the system.

The tooltip for the [Settings | Preferences | Layout | Lister Styles | Left File Display | Format] checkbox:

Yes, I know that. Not special/virtual folders implied in the problems I detected... yet. :grin:

Best regards,

Pritch

Pritch/Nudel...

Following the steps provided by Pritcher, I can confirm the problem.

I poked around a bit and here's what is actually happening (no time to work with screenshots right now so I will just refer to Pritchers precise explanation of steps):

At the point where you have clicked on Tabs and added C:\Windows as one of the tab folder paths to open in the Style... notice that there is a "Format..." button in the bottom right corner of the Edit Folder Tabs dialog. It seems this is where you need to specify the folder format changes for the tabs you add to the style... and the format changes are per 'folder/tab'.

Alternatively, if you do NOT add a folder tab to the Style, but instead simply add a path after checking the Left File Display->Folder check mark... then the changes you make through the Format Edit button in the Left File Display edit tab are indeed reflected.

I am guilty of NOT reviewing some of the recent FAQ's that Nudel has worked so hard on to help people and which have been referred to in this topic. So from what I remember about the conversation so far in this topic and at the risk of restating some of what Nudel has already mentioned I think we can draw a few conclusions:

1- The fact that any folder format changes for tabs added to Styles need to be applied to each folder tab you add to the style is a flexible feature for those who want it.
2- For those that don't want that, we'll need to petition GPSoft to either automatically apply the format changes made in the Left File Display Format Edit button to any tabs added to a Style that have NOT had per tab format changes made... or to offer an option on the Edit Folder Tabs dialog for something like Inherit folder format from which could allow you to select from either changes made to the Styles main File Display tab Format Edit button or maybe even select from any of the folder formats already saved in Prefs.
3- That the folder format changes are not preserved as you navigate out of the folder saved in the Style into other folders is apparently 'by design' and something which could also be handled by an additional request to GPSoft to provide an option in each Style to Preserve folder format when changing directories... which I think Nudel had suggested earlier in this thread.

Hope this helps...