Folder Format Not Working

I installed Directory Opus 12. I had version 11 before. Folder Format doesn't seem to be working.
This is what I did:
Set folder to sort by Date and Time Modified.
Right-click on column heading and select More.
Select Save, select Save format for this folder.
Click OK, immediately the folder gets resorted by name.

When I select the folder, it is sorted by filename, not Date and Time Modified.

In Settings/ Preferences, Folder Formats shows my folder with Date and Time Modified checked for Sort

Don't know why it doesn't work. Is it a bug?

Please close the window, then open a new one to make sure no temporary changes are affecting things.

In the new window, go to the folder where the problem is happening, and hover the mouse over the format lock icon on the status bar. Don't click, just hover over it.

A tooltip should appear with some information about where the current format is coming from. What does it say?

1 Like

Here it is:

Is that after closing the window and opening a new one? It would be unusual for it to be modified by a command if the window had only just been opened, unless scripts are involved.

Oops, I did do something before I did the screenshot.

And this is the from the Favorite Formats:

Favorite Formats, or Path formats? There should be something for P:\Downloads under Path formats if it is being automatically applied when you change folders.

Yes

Thanks! That looks like the configuration is correct.

So when you see this...

...the folder is not being sorted by date?

Or is OK when that message is shown, and in situations where the sort is incorrect there is a different message?

e.g. Is the format correct for new windows, but incorrect (only) in existing windows after clicking Save?

The folder is never sorted by date when I open it. I always have to click on the date heading to get to sort by date. The 'Format for path "P:\Download"' is always displayed whether it's sorted by name after opening or sorted by date after I click on the heading.

I also tried to save a Folder Format on different folders on different drives and got the same result. So, it's not just P:\Download.

That does seem wrong, and I can't explain it.

If you like, I can take a look at your Opus config and see if I can work out what's going on from there.

If you want to do that, please use Settings > Backup & Restore to create a backup (.ocb file), then email it to leo@gpsoft.com.au

Note that it will include any saved FTP passwords, if you have stored them in your config. If you want to remove them first, you can rename the .ocb backup file to .zip, then go inside and into the ConfigFiles sub-folder, and delete ftp.oxc and ftpdef.oxc. Neither should be relevant to what's going on, so it's fine to remove them.

Config sent.

The email that I sent was returned. Your email system thinks my email is spam.

You could try leo@pretentiousname.com although it may have the same problem.

I will also email you a random password, which can be used to encrypt the file and attach it here, if that turns out to be easier.

Thanks for sending the config!

This is a bug, which we will fix. For now, you can work around it by going to Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats and editing the P:\Download format, then on the Options tab, turn off Include columns from other matching formats.

It looks like that checkbox is also causing the sort order to be inherited along with the columns, which is not supposed to happen. We'll get that fixed.

That's great, it's not just me. I turned off that option and it's working now. Thank you for the great support!

This has been fixed for the next update.

His "Download" Path format has Columns and Grouping turned on. For the sake of discussion, if you take the reverse and turn OFF Columns and Grouping and turn on Include columns from other matching formats, the search should continue and when it finds the right columns to use, it needs to grab the sort info at the same time. That's the problem I'm having with 12.2.1 (see Wrong sort fields post). You have no column or sort info to implement until you find something beyond the initial Path format def with Columns turned off.

That isn't how it works. Please keep the discussion about how you wish folder formats worked to a single thread. Having it across 5 different threads is just confusing things further.

sorry but the thread was relevent to the same topic