Folder tabs - save group

I am working a lot with folder tabs, it's a great feature. I keep rearranging them constantly when working on new projects, so I would like to have an improvement on saving a folder tab group.

At the moment it takes a couple of clicks to save a group: right click on the tab area - groups - save - select or type the group name - OK - replace yes.

I would like to have one command: save current group (if possible, with an option to force replacing the old group). Not necessary to implement it in the user interface, a raw command would be ok.

If you assign each tab group to a style, you can in one click load or replace each tab group, or add a new one by simply clicking on the style name or right clicking over the style bar and choosing the appropriate context menu item.

Of course if you have a lot of tab groups this may not be practical to do.

[quote="JohnZeman"]If you assign each tab group to a style, you can in one click load or replace each tab group, or add a new one by simply clicking on the style name or right clicking over the style bar and choosing the appropriate context menu item.

Of course if you have a lot of tab groups this may not be practical to do.[/quote]

John, thanks for your answer, but unless I'm missing something, this just shifts the problem from tabgroups to styles. I fact, I tried to save styles, but the folder tab groups are not saved with styles. It might me done with layouts, but what is the use of tab groups, then? And I've added the tab group list to my lister context menu to have fast access to the groups, but there is no 'GO LAYOUTLIST' command.

So I would rather like to have the real thing, no workarounds.

In each defined lister style, in the lower right hand corner is a button labeled "Tabs" that allows you to configure any tabs you want in that particular style.

That said however, I do agree it would be nice if "Folder Tabs" could be added to the "Context Menus" section of the customize dialog. Then we could set the right click folder tab menu up as we wanted.

[quote="JohnZeman"]In each defined lister style, in the lower right hand corner is a button labeled "Tabs" that allows you to configure any tabs you want in that particular style.

That said however, I do agree it would be nice if "Folder Tabs" could be added to the "Context Menus" section of the customize dialog. Then we could set the right click folder tab menu up as we wanted.[/quote]

Oh, I see what you mean. But setting up tabs this way is even more cumbersome than saving tab groups, isn't it?

A raw command to update the various appearance items would certainly be great, but Opus would then need to always keep track of the last loaded Folder Tab Group, or Layout, or Style, etc... That is... if you wanted to be able to run such a command 'blindly' to save/update whatever the 'current or last' appearance item you invoked was.

It might be nice to have contextual menu capability kind of like how you can currently right click on a 'Style' item on the 'tabbar' and click Update... That only costs 2 clicks eh? For that to be effective for the non-Style items the other appearance related features in Opus would do well to be extended to have the same tab type field access (instead of drop downs, lists, etc) as what's used on the current 'Style' tabbar...

I think it would be nice for users to be able to define every item within Opus that contains "list" type data to be visually represented by any/all of the current methods... menu, list, drop-down, tabs (like the Styles), etc etc.

Ah but I totally diverged from my original point...

@korne:

What I think JohnZ was trying to describe to you is that by associating a particular set of tabs (from your tab groups) with equivilant new custom 'Styles', you can have 2 click save capability of changes to your tab groups going through the Styles method.

Activate the Tabbar toolbar... right click on any of the default Styles and select the Add Style context menu option. Open a set of arbitrary folder tabs, then right click on the newly created Style and select the Update option from the context menu.

Do the whole thing again, creating a different Style name and opening a group of folder tabs to different folders than before.

After you've created and updated these 2 different Styles, you should see that switching back and forth between them does indeed preserve the particular folder tabs you had open when you selected Update... If you ever want to 'change' one, you'd open whatever new folder tab you wanted and then Update the appropriate Style. You'd basically be shifting entirely from Folder Tab Groups to Styles... where the only difference between each of the Styles would be the open folder tabs... instead of all the other various configurable appearance elements most people use Styles for (like columns, formatting, etc etc).

steje: Thanks for your comments. I did exactly what you are suggesting. I removed all the default styles (I have no use for them), added my own styles with the tab groups I like to have, and included the tabbar into the visible toolbars.

I even found the PREFS STYLIST raw command and included it into my lister context menu, which enables me to switch between styles with a right click. Saving is done with a right click on the style name and UPDATE.

So I almost got what I wanted using a workaround. There are just two points:

• I dont really like to have the tabbar occupying space in my toolbar area

• I am wondering about the deeper sense of having folder groups. I fact, at some lazy afternoon I am going to scratch my head and think about lister styles, layouts, tab groups and how they all come together, or what makes the difference between them. I like them all, but it seems to be some sort of evolution to have so many ways to achieve a result. Maybe GPSoftware should consolidate these settings.

Again, thanks to you and John.

np korne... glad to be of help, but it was really JohnZ's suggestion :slight_smile:.

Personally, I'm a BIG fan of consolidating the various appearance related features in DO. Seems like alot of what is controlled seperately between Layouts and Styles could be combined to make the previously existing Layout implementation one-stop-shopping for all appearance customization needs. More importantly, I think some tweaking here could greatly help 'new' users adjust more quickly to changing Opus to suit their preferences.

I'll start a topic in the Discussion forum for people to flesh out their feelings and reasons for keeping the various appearance controls separate... see you there?