Folder Tree in a Menu

Hi

I don't use the folder tree in the lister, but it can be useful sometimes, and so I'm trying to create a menu to do the same job. I've kinda got it working, but not quite how I want.

At the moment I have a top level menu with a menu item for each drive:

Go C:/ FOLDERCONTENT="button,maxdepth=15,nofiles"

When I click the top level menu I get the tree for all drives, but not organised by drive. ie. The folders for all drives are listed together.

I tried Go /mycomputer FOLDERCONTENT="button,maxdepth=15,nofiles"

but it doesn't work.

I know I could create a second level menu showing the drives, and move the individual drive buttons down a level, but I want a complete dynamic list so that if I add a drive it's there (including my external USB HD and digital camera which shows as a removable disk - neither are connected most of the time).

Any ideas?

Steve

I don't think it's possible at the moment. Manually creating a Go FOLDERCONTENT button for each drive is the only thing that'll work for now.

Not a bad idea, though. The "obvious" thing would be to allow you to combine DRIVEBUTTONS and FOLDERCONTENT. That way you can filter by drive type and letter the same as for drive buttons. e.g.

Go DRIVEBUTTONS=fixed FOLDERCONTENT=button

That doesn't work now, though. The FOLDERCONTENT part gets ignored and it generates a normal list of HDD drive buttons.

I know - I should have said I'd already tried DRIVEBUTTONS with FOLDERCONTENT, but as you say, no go :frowning:

Ahh, well, C'est la vie

See if this button is what you are talking about. I added a drive D: and E: to it.

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu_button"> <label>My Comp&amp;uter</label> <icon1>Explorer.exe,0</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu_button"> <label>D:\</label> <icon1>shell32.dll,8</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>D:\ Content</label> <icon1>#empty</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go D:\ FOLDERCONTENT=&quot;button,maxdepth=15,nofiles&quot; </instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu_button"> <label>E:\</label> <icon1>shell32.dll,8</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>E:\ Content</label> <icon1>#empty</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go E:\ FOLDERCONTENT=&quot;button,maxdepth=15,nofiles&quot; </instruction> </function> </button> </button> </button>

I would just add another Menu button for each drive letter you use. It should be okay if a drive isn't inserted.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the new BreadCrumbs Path Field? It sounds like exactly what you want to me.

Reading the help the BreadCrumbs Path field would only work backwards, though a folder tree needs to work forwards.

For the moment I've gone with the simple option of creating a second level menu for each drive, in the hope that DRIVEBUTTONS and FOLDERCONTENT can be made to work together in the future. That would be the ideal solution.

Thanks guys

See if this button is what you are talking about.
I added a drive D: and E: to it.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

how would this be implemented? Tools, Customize, User ?

There's a description of what to do with XML buttons here, under the XML.

I keep meaning to make a FAQ which explains this, but then forgetting. Bear with us. :slight_smile: