Folder tree interaction between tabs

With a few folder tabs created, and the option to collapse non-selected branches not checked, if I select a folder in the tree in one tab, with the path to that folder expanded and all other branches collapsed, then switch to another tab and do the same for a completely different folder in a different part of the tree, when I then switch back to the first tab, the branch expanded in the second tab is now also expanded in the first tab. Similarly, if I then switch back to the second tab, the original branch expanded in the first tab is now also expanded in the second tab. Basically the two tabs are not independent. Expanding a branch in one tab causes it to also be expanded in other tabs.

Also, when switching from tab 1 to tab 2 then back to tab 1, the position of the selected folder in tab 1 has moved, often completely off the screen - even if the option to position the selected item in the middle of the tree is checked. This means having to scroll the tree to reposition the folder nearly every time I switch tabs.

Is there any way to prevent these things happening, so that the tree layout and position in a tab stay exactly how they were no matter what's done in other tabs (short of adding or removing folders)? When I switch back to tab 1, I'd like to see it still exactly how it was before I switched away from it, with the same branch(es) expanded and the selected folder in the same screen position.

I've just upgraded to Opus 11, but had the same issues in Opus 10.

There isn't currently an option for that. The folder tree is shared by all tabs in the window (or all tabs on one side of the window, if using a dual folder tree), rather than part of the tabs, if that makes sense.

It's not a bad idea, though.

Okay, thanks. Yes, it would be good if each tab was independent and maintained its own folder tree layout and position. Switching tabs and then having to scroll to get back to the folder selected in that tab, and having other branches expanded, is a nuisance.

Overall though it's great software, and a couple of other annoyances I had in Opus 10 seem to have been fixed (tab names not always reflecting the folder selected, and the folder tree not updating when new folders were added outside of Opus). The favorites list doesn't expand subfolders now though, so I've given up using favourites and add the folders to a library instead.

You could try the Preferences / Folder Tabs / Options / Preserve folder tree expansion when switching tabs option and see if it helps.

Thanks, Jon. That seems to fix the branch expansion issue. The position of the selected folder still jumps around on switching tabs, seemingly dependent on which folder was selected in the previous tab, but at least it's staying on the screen now, which it wasn't always in Opus 10.

The "Position selected item in the middle of the tree" option doesn't always do that though, even when it's possible to manually scroll the folder there. Often it works as expected, but at other times the selected folder will jump to near the top of the screen, or to near the bottom. I haven't yet been able to determine what conditions cause that to happen though.

A (similar?/equal?) jumping tree issue has been reported here: Tree-View item out of view