Folder tree jumps up and down

Using v12.20.8 Beta, discovered in the latest v12 stable.

Setup: Dual vertical listers, both with folder tree.

Scenario:
The right lister has its folder tree expanded beyond visible length so the scrollbas is visible.
Scroll all the way down and click here on the lowest folder.

Click in the left lister somewhere so it's active. Now move the move so it's over the folder tree of the right lister and scroll up. Now click on the highest folder there. The folder tree now first jumps down to the lowest folder and after half a second jumps back up to the highest folder.

Any news on this issue? It is still present in v12.24 build 7795.
Edited the scenario below as it didn't come out right the first time :slight_smile:

Setup: Dual vertical listers, both with folder tree.

Scenario:
The right lister has its folder tree expanded beyond visible length so its scrollbar is visible.
Scroll all the way down and click here on the lowest folder.

Click in the left lister somewhere so it's active. Now move the mouse so it's over the folder tree of the right lister and scroll up. Now click on the highest folder there. The right folder tree now first jumps back down and after half a second jumps back up.

What's happening is that the tree is making the current folder visible before jumping to the new folder, when you change which side is active. That causes a brief jump if the two folders are not near each other in the tree, but the tree should still end up in the correct place afterwards.

Is there any resolution to this? I'm running v12.29.1(Beta). Had this problem since I purchased Opus.

I have the same setup as the OP (although this problem happens with both the left and right folder trees). When I click on the left lister for example, and then scroll the right one and click a folder (in the right side) the tree jumps somewhere else and then jumps back, but the folder I clicked on never returns to the mouse location.

Also, if I double-click a folder to expand it, the tree jumps, then processes the double-click (thus expanding some random folder) and then jumps again. If I have Preferences/Folder Tree/Options "Position selected item in the middle of the tree" selected, then the second jump puts the folder I clicked on in the middle. If that option is not selected, the final location of the tree seems random.

That part is different to what I saw in testing. You should ultimately end up with the selected folder visible, unless something is overriding that.

Make sure you haven’t locked the folder tree (icon near the tree’s close button).

Here are the different scenarios I've identified:

After clicking in the left tree/lister, (the same things happen in reverse left/right)

• if I scroll up in the right tree and then click on a folder in the right, then the view jumps and the folder I click on ends up at the very top of the view in that lister. (if I then click on the left and then scroll the right even higher up, nothing happens. It doesn't jump. Nothing moves.)

• if I scroll down and then click on a folder, the view jumps and the folder I clicked on ends up at the second from the bottom in the view. (also, if I then click on the left lister and then scroll the right even lower down, nothing happens. It acts as expected.)

It is only when going in the opposite direction of the previously selected folder.

Also, if the view doesn't lose focus to the other lister, I can click any folder as many times as I want and nothing jumps around.

As I said before, if I double click then the random folder gets expanded instead of the one I wanted.

That sounds correct.

Activating the other side will scroll its current folder into view. Then the current folder is changed, and it'll scroll the new folder into view.

Both cases are the same. The only difference is the direction the tree has to scroll to put the new folder into view.

For this:

And:

It will only scroll when the side becomes activated again. If it's already active, it won't cause it to scroll the current folder into view.

You'd need click and let the tree scroll first before double-clicking or that could happen. Not ideal, I agree. Using the expander on the left is probably the best thing, as that works with a single click.

Wait. So it is intended to work this way? Why would anyone want to click on a folder only to have it move out of the way and then have to go looking for it? Even if I click the expander it jumps (yes, it works with a single click, but it still jumps). I'm usually moving fast, between the two listers, and this stops me every time. Is there not a fix, or a preference that can be included? I don't want it to move at all when I click on it (not to the middle, nor to the top or bottom). I want it to stay under the mouse cursor where I clicked it.

Thanks for your quick responses.

It's not exactly intended. It's behavior meant for another situation that's having an unwanted side effect when you do something else.

It's on our list to see if we can improve it. Adding a small delay before putting the active folder into view may fix things by allowing the folder change to happen first, but we need to try it to see if that doesn't cause other problems.

This should be fixed in the next update.

Great, didn't think this would get fixed. Looking forward to it. Thanks guys.